PDA

View Full Version : Stocking 75 gal reef

amylynnfloyd
06/26/2008, 03:46 PM
My 75 gallon aquarium is going through its cycle with 130 lbs of live rock. So far everything is going well. Although, I am still going to wait a month or two before adding any fish to the tank. The tank is going to be a mainly SPS dominated reef. I am trying to decide what fish I eventually want to add to the tank. I am wanting active fish, and fish that I will see out in the open. Any suggestions would be helpful. Just wanting to know what fish are the favorites in your tank.

I personally really like tangs, but do not know if there is one that would be happy in a 75 gallon aquarium.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

IFbettas
06/26/2008, 03:53 PM
You could keep a Tomini Tang in that tank or probably a Kole Tang. Green Chromis or Anthias are great fish that are constantly out in the open.

amylynnfloyd
06/26/2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually thinking of getting a small school of chromis. I will also check into the two tangs that you mentioned. Thank you for your input. Any other suggestions?

jubjub
06/26/2008, 05:26 PM
wow 130lbs of live rock jebus....thats alot of rock....my sig is whats in my tank.....

if i could of found one i would of gotten a purple tang..but the ones i did find were to big...or for a baby was like 150bux...

as far as getting a bristletooth if your tank is a algae growing machine then yeah...if not..might look more into like a yellow/purple etc... yellows are pretty hardy....

Slayer311
06/26/2008, 05:38 PM
False Percula Clowns are always a fun addition exspecially if you can get them to mate to an anemone front and center like mine, mated pairs are cute. I keep a baby yellow tang in my 46 that I know I will have to move but she is happy for the time being, if you are keeping a sandbed banded bullet gobies are neet as they will constantly sift and tidy up your sand. I have also had good luck with firefish being out in the open and not too timid even with my angels displaying their dominance every chance they get. Coral beuties are pretty and are quick to lose their shyness, but they can become quite the bully on the same note, my flame angels have always been a bit shyer and flee at the sight of me only to come out a few minutes later once they are sure i'm not going to dive in after them lol. Just a few ideas, good luck with the tank.

amylynnfloyd
06/26/2008, 05:54 PM
Thank you for you help. I am seriously considering either a purple or yellow tang. I really like the look of the purple, but they are a little more than I want to spend. I have never seen a bullet goby, but will look up about it. I do like the look of the firefish as well. I just have always thought that they will hide a lot. Though I could be very wrong about that. I do think that clownfish could be a good addition as well. And, I do believe it would be really fun to see them host in an anemone. I will keep these thoughts in mind. Thanks you! Anyone else?

Bambalam
06/26/2008, 07:34 PM
I have a mated pair of percula clowns hosting in an anemone that everyone likes. Also have a yellow tang and flame angel that add a lot of activity to the tank.

Moonstream
06/26/2008, 08:17 PM
I have, in my 75g DT (100g system)
2 percs
3 firefish
1 swollowtail angel
1 YWG
1 carpenters wrasse

I really like all my fish and am planning to add several more after the summer. I have been thinking about getting a small bristletooth tang to add to the tank.

amylynnfloyd
06/26/2008, 09:20 PM
Thank you all for your input. Does anyone with a dwarf angel have any problem with them nipping at corals? I love the look of them, especially the flame angel, but I don't want to regret purchasing one if they nip at corals a lot. Again, thanks for all the input.

Mappelbaum37
06/26/2008, 09:34 PM
my coral beauty used to nip at my gorgonian tree until i took it out. thats it though. my coral beauty is real cool, swims all over, and grazes on a butt load of algae on the rocks.

for tangs, i would recommend a kole tang, awesome fish. a group of anthias would be cool, or if thats too much I would go with a group of damsels or something.

dp0350
06/27/2008, 08:43 PM
Is a 75 too small for a purple tang? I was going to get one for my 90 but I heard atleast a 100 for a fully grown one.

Aj Flip
06/27/2008, 09:46 PM
here is my planned list and its in order of what i will add first to last

5 blue-green chromis
1 goby (whatever the lfs has)
1 male McCocker's flasher wrasse
2 Ocellaris clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Tomini or Kole Tang
1 Flame Angel