PDA

View Full Version : ? Too turbulent flow at surface

squealy
06/26/2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks to a closed loop, 3 koralias, and return from my sump, I have very turbulent flow at the water/air interface in my tank. It seems that it's almost too much, so that it prevents debris from flowing into my overflow box - the stuff just seems to bounce around and not pass through the teeth. Is this possible? Do I just have to redirect the flow away from the overflow, trying to create calmer water by the box, and will this allow better removal of debris? This sounds like a stupid question because all I've read on this site is how you need to maximize turbulence at the interface. Thanks.

Aquarist007
06/26/2008, 09:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12830401#post12830401 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by squealy
Thanks to a closed loop, 3 koralias, and return from my sump, I have very turbulent flow at the water/air interface in my tank. It seems that it's almost too much, so that it prevents debris from flowing into my overflow box - the stuff just seems to bounce around and not pass through the teeth. Is this possible? Do I just have to redirect the flow away from the overflow, trying to create calmer water by the box, and will this allow better removal of debris? This sounds like a stupid question because all I've read on this site is how you need to maximize turbulence at the interface. Thanks.

turbulance is great but you need to tweak it a bit so it doesn't bounce of the overflow. Just start with one of the k's and point it down and see if that helps--if not go to the second

here is a pic of tswify's surface showing and ideal turbulance

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/surfaceflow.jpg

squealy
06/26/2008, 09:33 PM
That makes sense. I'll start tweaking right now.