PDA

View Full Version : New to FOWLR

kingnai
06/27/2008, 12:08 AM
Hey guys, This is Ian I am new to fish only tanks,

I have a 92 gallon corner reef tank that has been up and running for a couple of years now. So I have a decent amount of knowledge with reef tanks.

What I need to know is what is different about about fish only with live rock?

I have a 55 gallon with about 3 inces of sand bed and about 50lbs of live rock,

I plan on using my modified wet/dry filter that I removed the bio balls and put in a sock, I have a coralife skimmer rated for 125 gallons down ther also.

Lighting I have a power compact fixture with 4 96 watt bulbs, I don't think I need that much do I?

I also have a return pump of about 600 gph after head loss and 2 maxi jet 1200's circulating behind and in front of the rock down low.

What if any advice do you have for a newbie...

Thanks,
-Ian

prime311
06/27/2008, 12:32 AM
Not much different for a FOWLR. Main thing is you don't need as much lighting, Nitrates aren't as big of a deal, and the larger fish usually produce more waste.

kingnai
06/27/2008, 12:48 AM
any suggustions for a max number of fish for a 55

LisaD
06/27/2008, 01:55 AM
to add on FOWLR -

Where with a reef, it's all about meeting the needs of the corals, with FOWLR it is about meeting the needs of the fish. Just like corals, different fish have different environmental and dietary needs. Compatibility is a huge issue, so research your species. Be aware of adult size and if you can keep the fish in the tank for life. If not, avoid the species or have an upgrade in the wings. Wetwebmedia is a good place for species research.

You still need to keep water quality high. Nitrates don't have to be zero, but IMO should be less than 20 ppm. I have several species of fish that are definitely sensitive to high nitrates. Best to be as conscientious about water quality as you can. Your fish will be healthier and your tank will look better.

Because fish produce much more waste than corals, you still need the best filtration you can get.

Flow doesn't necessarily need to be as high, depends on the environmental conditions where the fish is from. You won't have to worry so much about calcium, but do make sure pH is stable.

Some fish can't handle the temperatures reef tanks reach, but temps shouldn't get as high with less intense lighting. Again, research your species.

How many fish in a 55 is as much a matter of fiiltration capacity as it is space. It also can depend on the fish. I'd say 3-6 fish that are 2-3 inches. On the lower part of the range for bigger fish, on the higher for little fish.

What kind of fish do you like? We could comment on or help you develop a stocking list.

IMO it takes as much experience, dedication, and disciplined maintenance to have a really nice FOWLR as it does a reef. You may not have as narrow a range of parameters in which to work, and Fish can be more forgiving. But it's easy to have a crappy looking FOWLR, more work to have one that looks good, with healthy, long lived fish. You'll do fine, with your reef experience.

kingnai
06/27/2008, 02:14 AM
i would love some ideas on a stocking list...

I was also thinking of using my waste water from my reef tank for water changes for the FOWLR... even though its waste water it is still probably pretty good???

good idea or no?

kingnai
06/27/2008, 02:14 AM
by the way what in the world are you doing up at 4am? lol

prime311
06/27/2008, 12:41 PM
You should still use aged saltwater for water changes. The point of doing water changes is to introduce nutrients, if you want Coraline growth or inverts you still need things like Calcium. All I'd suggest for a 55 fishwise is to do a more peaceful community since theres not a ton of swimming room and area to keep aggressors seperated.