PDA

View Full Version : New BK Mini 200 Noisey ?

dgrego
06/27/2008, 08:26 AM
Have a question for mini users. My new BK 200 has been in operation for about month now. I get decent skimmlet will some thick nasty stuff hanging on the center of the collection cup.
My issue has to do with the noise level of the skimmer. I hear the low frequency growling noise from the air being sucked in through the tube, but I also get a jingling higher frequency pitch sound. With the lighting fans off the skimmer is the most predominate sound coming from my setup.
I'm asking this question because reading this forum I've heard it mentioned that BK mini's are very quite skimmers. I guess I expected to just hear the air draw, but I'm afraid I'm hearing something else, I just don't know what.
My skimmer is in 9" of water with the water/bubble line right at or just a little above the mark on the skimmer.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

cstires
06/27/2008, 08:55 AM
You can hear the air hissing on mine, but that's it, and I can't even hear that with the cabinet doors shut...

Akrite
06/27/2008, 09:38 AM
You will here some noise from the air being sucked into the skimmer but the pump should be died quiet. If its under your stand and you have doors you should not hear a thing. I've seen one in action and was very impressed.

dgrego
06/27/2008, 11:25 AM
I don't know if I'm hearing more than just the air sucking noise. There's quit abit of gargling / chopping noise. I have an euroreef RS-100 that this replaced and that thing it dead silent. I'll be moving up to a 120 Gal during the 4th, but that's not going to fix the noise this thing makes.

I can hear this thing with the doors closed laying in my bed at night. Like I said with the lights off it makes more noise than the return water to the sump, the Eheim return pump and the 2 tunzes put together.

Akrite
06/27/2008, 09:30 PM
Check to see if it is level. Sometimes if its not level it can vibrate and you might be hearing a small vibration. Hopefully on your 120 it will be quieter. Good luck.

Akrite
06/27/2008, 09:32 PM
The Euroreef RS100 is a dead quiet skimmer, I miss mine.