PDA

View Full Version : How can I make my wrasse a supermale?

mastershake72
06/27/2008, 08:50 AM
I have a 140 gallon saltwater tank and its been set up for around 3 months and while I have a decent amount of coral in it I was just able to recently procure my first fish. I bought a Lineatus wrasse and while he isnt a supermale he has very nice coloration. I was wondering wat the best way would be to get him to display supermale coloration. Any help would be appreciated.

buzzbombtom
06/27/2008, 09:39 AM
release him into the wild. it is VERY hard to get a non terminal male to go terminal in tank. you need food and females to get him to go term. best bet to get him to display really strong colors is to get three or so females. your next best would be to get other fairies for the tank, it keeps them displaying all the time.

snorvich
06/27/2008, 03:34 PM
Well I agree with the first part of buzzbombton's post, it is very, very hard to get a non terminal male to go terminal in an aquarium. You need a harem and appropriate conditions for mating. Other fairies will not cause this to occur.

buzzbombtom
06/27/2008, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12835095#post12835095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Well I agree with the first part of buzzbombton's post, it is very, very hard to get a non terminal male to go terminal in an aquarium. You need a harem and appropriate conditions for mating. Other fairies will not cause this to occur.

please dont think that i meant that by putting more males in the system that you can get a terminal male. im sorry for this misunderstanding. i was saying that you can get some better color out of your males with multi males in the system...

snorvich
06/27/2008, 07:37 PM
That is indeed true. However, the "blue group" of fairy wrasses will all lose some coloration absent females.

jmaneyapanda
06/27/2008, 08:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12832901#post12832901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by buzzbombtom
release him into the wild. it is VERY hard to get a non terminal male to go terminal in tank. you need food and females to get him to go term. best bet to get him to display really strong colors is to get three or so females. your next best would be to get other fairies for the tank, it keeps them displaying all the time.

Excellent response. agreed.