PDA

View Full Version : Dead triggerfish???

seboyd101
06/27/2008, 07:17 PM
This is the most bizarre thing to ever happen in my tank. I have a 100 gal set up with a domino damsel and a clown trigger. I have had both for years and recently (3 weeks ago) lost my puffer. My trigger has been missing for a few days. Tonight I assumed he was dead in the rocks and went looking for him. He is under some reef rock completely submerged in a slime/mucous cocoon. I immediatly put the rock back, freaked out.

Is he dead? I have never heard of triggers building a cocoon, only parrotfish and a few others.

PLEASE tell me someone else has dealt with this. Thanks!!!

2dawghouse
06/27/2008, 08:43 PM
Did he respond when you moved the rock? I think he might be dead, I would move that rock again and see if he is alive. If he is gone then I would supect from your symptoms that you have a bacteria/disease problem.

grewbek
06/27/2008, 11:41 PM
yup, I'm voting for dead. Triggers don't do the cocoon thing, only wrasses as far as I know. That is probably his slime coat just sloughing off his dead little carcass.:sad2:

seboyd101
06/28/2008, 12:22 AM
He's dead :( I moved the rocks and pocked him. Thanks for the replies.

krazykarel
06/28/2008, 11:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12837837#post12837837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by grewbek
yup, I'm voting for dead. Triggers don't do the cocoon thing, only wrasses as far as I know. That is probably his slime coat just sloughing off his dead little carcass.:sad2:

That was pretty morbid, but to the point!