PDA

View Full Version : clear small bubbles full of fluid attached to rock

singold
06/27/2008, 11:29 PM
Re: Clear bubbles full of fluid attached to Live Rock

Should I take Live rock out and scrape off and dip to remove these? I believe I read on an article here before that if they break/burst in tank that its not good?

Flipper62
06/28/2008, 12:07 AM
Well, it depends on what the bubble is.

Light green / dark green === bubble algae

Please post a picture of it so we can help

Please take no disrespect to this....but its kinda like telling your auto shop that your car is making a kinda bang bang....ssshhhsssshhh...boom clanking chatter chatter sound....What is it.

Happy Friday :dance:

singold
06/28/2008, 12:13 AM
Don't have camera unfortunately, but there is a cluster of about four of them they appear translucent clear not really green, the largest being a little smaller than the size of a pea. Hopefully, this description helps.

singold
06/28/2008, 12:18 AM
www.fishlore.com/bubblealgae.htm

Flipper62
06/28/2008, 12:23 AM
Hhhhmmm....Sounds like bubble algae.....But its normaly a green color. Without a picture, its hard to tell.

I see your in the Financial field........Charge a cliant an extra 1%...& go buy a digital camera

HEhehehe:dance:

singold
06/28/2008, 12:30 AM
Well, I think it is bubble algae, so should I take rock out and scrape it off?

BurntOutReefer
06/28/2008, 01:00 AM
"the largest being a little smaller than the size of a pea.".....
if its not green by now then its not bubble......
IMO, I would leave it alone. IF it starts to spread and become green then its Bubble, which is quite easy to control, however, witout a picture it could be anything....even just die-off from the rock....how old is the rock?...
BUT, if you think its Bubble, then there you go.....

otrlynn
06/28/2008, 06:43 AM
If you decide it is bubble algae, try to get it off the rock without breaking it, which I have read releases spores into the water. Sometimes I can do this with my fingers, sometimes not... If you area able to easily remove the rock from the tank and take the bubble off outside the tank that's the best way--but often not possible.

JEFFR259
06/28/2008, 07:30 AM
I seem to get red bubble algae....I suppose this is bubble algae too, right? I clip them out before they burst. But their color is interesting to me b/c I've never seen red bubble before.

Its like a deep pink with red speckles all over it. I'll try and get a pic when home later...

DevilBoy
06/28/2008, 08:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12838405#post12838405 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by otrlynn
If you decide it is bubble algae, try to get it off the rock without breaking it, which I have read releases spores into the water. Sometimes I can do this with my fingers, sometimes not... If you area able to easily remove the rock from the tank and take the bubble off outside the tank that's the best way--but often not possible.

I have also held true to this statement about bursting of the bubbles, until one day i saw one of my emerald crabs take the valonia in his pincher and it burst. So... i think this maybe a myth, since most people do use the emeralds to keep the valonia under control...

singold
06/28/2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for information. I was able to get LR out and pulled them off. I think it was the bubble algae. They were on a piece of LR I bought the other day that had a coral attached to it that I was getting for my tank. Thanks again.