PDA

View Full Version : Another Ozone question

jherrin215
06/28/2008, 01:12 AM
I bought my setup used. The previous owner spent tons of money on it and I lucked out and didn't!!:D There was an ozonizer included with the tank when I bought it. Would I benefit by using it, or is it just trouble and I need to leave it out?? If I need to use it where should it go and how should I regulate how much it puts out. Any help would be appreciated!! TIA!!

snorvich
06/28/2008, 09:47 AM
You don't NEED to use it but there are some advantages, by some debatable, if you do. Many people hook it up to a protein skimmers air intake and let the protein skimmer draw the ozone into the skimmer. But if you do this, be sure your protein skimmer is ozone safe. If you run ozone, you pretty much have two options: run it a low level so you can never run it too much or run it with an ORP controller so that it shuts off when your ORP reaches about 375. But you could also run it through an ozone reactor which passes the output through carbon to remove any excess ozone. This is probably the safest option albeit the most expensive.