PDA

View Full Version : Night time flow

60Cubed
06/29/2008, 03:40 AM
I have been thinking about turning off all of my CL pumps at night and only have my recirc pump be the flow. Any one else do anything like that? Or is it not a good idea?

I was just thinking of how the Tunze PH have a night sensor that will slow the flow at night for calmer water. Anyone doing anything like this in an SPS tank?

rutz81
06/29/2008, 06:11 AM
It has been brought up many times in other threads, but, the ocean does not have a "night sensor" nor should your reef tank. Also, oxygen levels will often drop when the lights are out and the more circulation the better.

nwrogers
06/29/2008, 06:42 AM
The Tunze night sensor is a useless feature IMO. There is no reason I can think of to decrease flow at night.

60Cubed
07/01/2008, 03:55 PM
I thought the current calmed down at night. Maybe I'm wrong.

bmwaaron
07/01/2008, 07:01 PM
Isn't part of the function of flow to bring food to the Corals? And we all know most Acros eat at night so it makes more sense to me to have just as much flow at night. This is just my opinion and I have not proof of this just my though.

Dave VG
07/01/2008, 07:36 PM
The current is stronger at night.

PUGroyale
07/01/2008, 08:28 PM
I turn off one power head at night only because my flow is insanely high... My corals couldn't extend their polyps fully due to the massive turbulence. I've noticed that when I flip on the actinics now a few hours after lights out that my PE is ridiculous with less flow. It's still 60x plus turnover though... jmo ;)

60Cubed
07/01/2008, 09:05 PM
I think I will leave my flow on all night:fish1: !

Ehanks for the imput.

Ralph ATL
07/01/2008, 11:05 PM
I use the night feature on my 7095 for about 4 hours (it's on my CPR hang-on fuge for pod replenishment at around 30% to 40%). The oceans are calmer at night which let's the zooplankton rise to the surface. I do it to let my pipes have 4 hours of easier feeding.

GSMguy
07/02/2008, 12:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12861941#post12861941 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PUGroyale
I turn off one power head at night only because my flow is insanely high... My corals couldn't extend their polyps fully due to the massive turbulence. I've noticed that when I flip on the actinics now a few hours after lights out that my PE is ridiculous with less flow. It's still 60x plus turnover though... jmo ;)

when the oxygen levels go down the PE goes up. not something that is positive, even with insanely high flow.

mrpenguin
07/02/2008, 06:46 AM
I used to scuba dive all the time and I can say for sure that the currents are the same at night if not stronger. Most storms on the ocean is at night as well, or at least start during the night.

JER-Z
07/02/2008, 06:56 AM
i use the sensor on my Tunze 7095. Not sure if it does anything but i think the fish appreciate it when they sleep. (maybe not)

PUGroyale
07/02/2008, 06:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12863214#post12863214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
when the oxygen levels go down the PE goes up. not something that is positive, even with insanely high flow.

So you're stating PE is a direct result of low oxygen levels in the water huh? Link me the data... :rolleyes:

Ralph ATL
07/02/2008, 08:22 PM
much current is caused by wave action, and waves, in large part, are generated by the wind. at night winds diminish because of no sun to fuel the the heating of nearby land masses. thus no sun, no wind,no waves, less current at night,,, that is, of course a very simplified version of it

Amphiprion
07/02/2008, 08:57 PM
When I actually had corals ( :( ), I had plenty of PE at night, regardless of the flow. My turnover is, I suppose, "insane" as well at 150x+ in a 75 and I never shut them off, unless I am feeding the fish. Even then, it is only for a brief amount of time.

60Cubed
07/02/2008, 09:19 PM
:eek2: WOW!

I would like a link to the calmer night waters. Just for ed purposes. I'm not either way, just interested that's all!

Ralph ATL
07/02/2008, 09:55 PM
oops

Amphiprion
07/02/2008, 09:57 PM
I agree, but are you in the wrong thread?

PUGroyale
07/02/2008, 09:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12870041#post12870041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 60Cubed
just interested that's all!

Me too :) Always trying to learn...

Even though I turn off one of my PH's in the display at night I still have two others plus two returns plus the skimmer aeration plus three other PH's in a plumbed 30g refugium/frag tank, not to mention a really deep sand bed which aids with oxygenation and the drain lines from both tanks adding even more... Point is I don't have an ORP meter but I can't imagine my oxygen levels drop much if any on account of the one PH being off. Yet still the PE is much greater... hmmm... What could this mean?

I think that in the same way a fish nipping might inhibit PE, strong flow can also cause diminished PE. When you blast a coral with good PE with a turkey baster they retract defensively, but then they come back out when it's calmer. Why? Cause they want to :lol: One could assume then that in an unmolested state the coral prefers as much PE as possible. Does super PE mean better, healthier corals? IDK... Are mesenterial filaments for feeding or defense? ...or both??? IDK... even the top minds in the field, much smarter than me, don't fully understand all that the polyp's do and what all their functions may be. Sorry for the length... JMO ;)

evad1
07/02/2008, 10:35 PM
vortech gen 2s have night mode 10hrs will run at 50% power....

atcguy
07/03/2008, 12:45 AM
I'm a scuba instructor and have to say currents can run at night, but overall calmer water at night,, due to wind etc. I have my 7095 running my night sensor.. cant hurt to run all the time..

Dave VG
07/03/2008, 05:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12871104#post12871104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atcguy
I'm a scuba instructor and have to say currents can run at night, but overall calmer water at night,, due to wind etc. I have my 7095 running my night sensor.. cant hurt to run all the time..

I'm sure I read on the NOAA site night time currents are stronger. Something to do with tides, gravity and the moons pull.

mr294
07/03/2008, 06:06 AM
Another thread in the Advanced Topics forum with some insight on the issue:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1407868

GSMguy
07/03/2008, 11:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12871378#post12871378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dave VG
I'm sure I read on the NOAA site night time currents are stronger. Something to do with tides, gravity and the moons pull.

yes they are as strong or stonger at night, also the tide is not based on the sun and can come night or day and create really intense flow.

i dont know who atcguy teaches SCUBA for, could be a different lesson plan, but when we learned to night dive in my advanced NAUI program we were told that the currents are stronger at night and staying close to your buddy becomes more important than ever for this reason.

GSMguy
07/03/2008, 11:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12868657#post12868657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PUGroyale
So you're stating PE is a direct result of low oxygen levels in the water huh? Link me the data... :rolleyes:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12710591#post12710591 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
Because when the lights go out there is heavy respiration by all the animals and plants in the tank, but there is no photosynthesis to replenish the oxygen consumed. Oxygen levels, even in nature, drop dramatically and the water near the reef surface becomes hypoxic at night. Water motion helps to bring in oxygenated water and is especially important for animals like corals that rely on diffusion of O2 fro column m the water. There's actually a thin layer of water that "sticks" to the surface of the corals and becomes especially low in O2 as compared to the overlying water. This boundary layer forms a barrier to diffusion of O2 in and CO2 out of the coral, essentially suffocating it. The faster the water flow, the thinner the boundary layer. It doesn't make sense to increase the boundary layer when O2 is already at it's most limiting.

Essentially none of our animals actually sleep and those that enter some state or torpor don't need lower flow to do so.

PUGroyale
07/03/2008, 04:41 PM
I appreciate greenbean's comments, they're usually very informative and I believe he's a marine biology student if I'm not mistaken... However, where's any data on polyp extension??? Is it me or does it just seem like most of the people who proclaim PE isn't an indicator of coral health have poor PE? :D

60Cubed
07/03/2008, 10:22 PM
I have great extension, on my polyps of course!

burton14e7
07/04/2008, 01:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12869523#post12869523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mysterybox
much current is caused by wave action, and waves, in large part, are generated by the wind. at night winds diminish because of no sun to fuel the the heating of nearby land masses. thus no sun, no wind,no waves, less current at night,,, that is, of course a very simplified version of it

And the moons mass pulling and pushing on the mass of the oceans water.

Since Tunze's use so little electricity already I don't think we're gaining much by turning down the flow at night when we're already using less kw/h. Maybe if you had inefficient pumps and enough supplemental flow by other means....but def not on the Tunze's.

GSMguy
07/04/2008, 09:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12875335#post12875335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PUGroyale
? Is it me or does it just seem like most of the people who proclaim PE isn't an indicator of coral health have poor PE? :D

Me? You will say anything to convince yourself of what you already believe, what an exercise in futility

Why dont you find some evidence that your ORP stays at a constant after lights ou? I feel like my theory is logical while yours defys conventional logic and is based on your perception of things happening in your own tank.

so since GreenBean is studying this subject Right now as we speak we should discredit him? that is funny.