PDA

View Full Version : Getting Shocked Please Help!!

keithqueef
06/29/2008, 06:07 AM
so my filter fell a little today so i went to grab it and got shocked so i unplugged everything to find the culprit and still i get shocked whats going on...??????

keithqueef
06/29/2008, 06:16 AM
i mean could i get a grounding probe..but i dont see how that would work because electricity takes a path of least resistence and my finger and body are alot thicker than a standard cord...

keithqueef
06/29/2008, 06:22 AM
never mind found the culprit it was my float switch but it wasnt pumping and its the only thing touching the water so maybe loose connection

wrangler99tj
06/29/2008, 06:22 AM
a ground prob will help alot especially for the fish cause they r getting shocked too... I would go and un plug each pump/powerhead at a time till i found the one with the problem...

RicksReefs
06/29/2008, 07:05 AM
the fish are only getting shocked if you do install a ground probe. electricity needs a path to ground to flow, and a grounding probe is just that, it allows the electricity to flow to ground. a probe is to protect you, not the fish.

as an example, you can jump up and grab a 10,000 volt powerline and be just fine, touch anything else at the same time (grounding) and your toasted.

woodycb
06/29/2008, 08:21 AM
I had to unplug my grounding probe, I was getting shocked when it was plugged in.

keithqueef
06/29/2008, 09:02 AM
thanks yall but i found the problem it was my float switch i unplugged that the only thing i didnt unplug cause there was no power to it running the pump so i didnt think it could be that but it was so i removed it and i ordered a new one today from aquahub and with a 18" mold urself bracket.

Michael
06/29/2008, 10:47 AM
get a gfci fitted, it just may save your life

http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/gfci.html

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/gfcimarfaqs.htm

grewbek
06/29/2008, 12:25 PM
Michael is absolutely right!! GFCI is cheap and worth every penny!!

da1jewfish
06/29/2008, 05:52 PM
not to hi-jack, question on topic. I heard that you don't need to GFCI if the outlet isn't close to the tank, like a couple feet away. Is this right?

BC Sparky
06/29/2008, 06:42 PM
The question of need is more to do with code. We are talking about safety here.

Anything that using electricity and comes in contact with your tank water should be GFCI protected as a matter of safety for yourself and all other that might touch the water. As mentioned above- there can be a short to the water just wating for a path to ground (you if you touch the water). Only a GFCI will shut that down in time to save your life. Spend the $15.00. If you need help hooking it up, send me a picture and I'll gladly talk you through it.

da1jewfish
06/29/2008, 07:23 PM
ok, I'll have to put that on the list then. when I put the GFCI on, what do I do if it trips it?
meanwhile should I keep the ground probe in the tank? should I remove it when the GFCI is hooked up?

Thanks very much

BC Sparky
06/29/2008, 07:38 PM
If you leave the ground probe in the tank it won't have to use you as a path to make it trip. Not a bad idea.

If your GFCI trips, you start by unplugging everything, resetting the trip, then plug in one piece of equipment at a time. When it trips again you've isolated the problem. Fix the problem, then back to business as usual.