PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae removal in a clam tank?

graffyn01
01/14/2003, 11:21 AM
What invert, snail or fish would be recommended for removing hair algae in a tank with clams?

cromax
01/14/2003, 11:33 AM
Lawnmower Blenny. Voracious Algae Eater. Good Will Towards All Clams. I have 2.

ozmonster
01/14/2003, 12:05 PM
My lawnmower blenny doesn't eat HA.

oz

mojo215
01/14/2003, 12:48 PM
Neither does mine.

cromax
01/14/2003, 04:12 PM
What? I assumed since mine ate hair algae that they all ate hair algae. In fact, I don't even clean the glass anymore since I got mine. Since their introduction, every tank surface has been cleaned. I don't feed them anything. They eat what they can find. Maybe I am starving mine and they are getting desperate?

ozmonster
01/14/2003, 04:39 PM
In fact, I don't even clean the glass anymore since I got mine. Since their introduction, every tank surface has been cleaned.

That makes sense. They love diatomatic algea but, FME, they will not eat hair algea. Perhaps you don't have any HA in your tank so you have assumed the blenny ate it. Have you ever seen your algea blenny take a bite out of HA and then swallow it? Mine will take a bite but always spits it out. I think he is trying to get at the diatoms that have grown on pieces of detritus in the HA cluster.

oz

ps my desjardini tang eats some HA but not enough to control it. I just started overskimming with a new skimmer and I am seeing some dye-off. Also some mexican snails will eat HA but some don't like it at all.

Bottom line is that your water has too many nutrients in it. Recommended methods of nutrient export are: Macroalgea (caluerpa) cultivation, xenia cultivation and overskimming.

graffyn01
01/14/2003, 04:42 PM
Wow, ok what's the general consensus on a yellow tang? Will it nip at the clams mantle? Will it consume HA?

cromax
01/14/2003, 04:55 PM
Good Points, Oz.

ozmonster
01/14/2003, 05:00 PM
Yellow tang will not touch HA. I have never had a problem with them nipping at corals (but I don't have any clams).

oz

ozmonster
01/14/2003, 05:01 PM
Thanks, cromax.:p

graffyn01
01/14/2003, 05:12 PM
Hmmm, the hair algae in my tank isn't bad I just do not want it to get out of control. I have plenty of calp and I remove xenia on a monthly basis.

I don't feed the fish but every other day, and I also feed dt's every other day for the children (clams) :)

ozmonster
01/14/2003, 05:22 PM
Graffy:

Are you adding RO/DI water for water changes and to replace evaporation? Also, I'm sure that HA loves DT's.

I there is not that much HA, its good that your looking into it before it does spread.

I would say keep pulling out excees caluerpa and xenia (before it starts to die-off) and skim as much as you can. You should be OK.

You could try some big mexican snails and perhaps some lettuce nudibranc (although I had some and they kept getting swept down into sump via my overflows) to get rid of the HA present.

HTH

oz

beach
01/18/2003, 05:58 PM
oz.your ha control makes more sense and works better than depending on overfed fish.caleupra xenia and a good skimmer work.my sailfin is big and beautiful but doesn't like ha salad.its funny i just started reading the clam forum but have lived in the other forums gleaning info and for some reason the clam people always give me something that i can depend on.(i have asked how to control ha as a newbie 12mos ago and the responses were interesting,but not highly effective).still learning about clams, only have one but man is it nice or at least i am proud of it.beach