PDA

View Full Version : pressure rated pumps

CAbb
06/29/2008, 12:03 PM
Right now I'm running an Iwaki MD-70RLT and I really do like the pump, but unfortunately, because I'm limited on space, it's under the tank in the stand with the sump. This causes problems because this thing can put off quite a bit of heat. Otherwise though I love the pump for what I need, but I have to find a new one that doesn't put off as much heat.

Can anyone recommend a pump that is pressure rated with minimal heat output. I looked at the Sequence Dart because someone I know uses one and the thing is cool to the touch, but it's not pressure rated. My pump feeds a manifold w/ 5 outputs AND the tank return. I believe the Iwaki is rated for about 1400gph so even if there is a non-pressure rated pump that can provide the same performance I'd be interested in knowing about that also.

I am not as concerned about wattage draw though I would prefer not to have an energy hog. Needs to do at least 1400GPH under high pressure. But most importantly, I need to find a pump that has next to no heat dispersal. I know that every pump is going to put off SOME heat, but I need to get away from the amount I'm currently putting back into the tank.

I'd even be willing to look into submersible pumps if anyone has suggestions. Thanks in advance!

CAbb
06/30/2008, 01:35 AM
^

RicksReefs
06/30/2008, 09:01 AM
wattage draw is comparable to heat produced. low wattage=low heat production, so look for a pump that meets your specs with the lowest watt's.

simplest thing would be to vent your stand with a fan or two to remove the heat.

CAbb
06/30/2008, 11:49 AM
I've actually got 2 fans on the pump right now and I always keep the doors open to the stand but it hasn't seemed to help the problem at all which is why I decided to start looking into other pumps

hypernesia
06/30/2008, 01:34 PM
The UNO pumps from Reeflo would be my choice. I have 16' of head and 4 outputs and I am getting 1400gph at the tank on a UNO Marlin. They make different versions to fit applications.

Curve
06/30/2008, 02:32 PM
I use mag and run them submersed and there is no heat problems. I run a mag 36 at 5" and get around 2900gph so you could probably use an 18 and get the same.

CAbb
06/30/2008, 02:49 PM
I did at once have a Mag 24 hooked up to the system and the manifold just has so many elbows on it that my output was next to nothing.

Thinking about this though I wonder if I could use a mag externally just for my return since I don't need high flow. Do mags tend to leak? I know they say they are able to be used submersed or externally but I'm wondering if people have encountered problems with them being used externally since I only ever hear about people using them in-sump.

RicksReefs
06/30/2008, 05:26 PM
I've had two mag 24's running externally for about 6-7 years now with no issues.

CAbb
06/30/2008, 06:28 PM
do you mind if I ask what kind of pressure you have them running under?

Curve
06/30/2008, 07:14 PM
What's your head pressure. You can always go to the mag 36. I run a 36 on 3 scwd wave makers and it is awesome in my 225.

MrPike
06/30/2008, 07:31 PM
The Iwaki is one of the best pumps you can buy. Other then that, id probably go with a panworld/blueline.

CAbb
06/30/2008, 08:17 PM
I honestly couldn't tell you what my headpressure is exactly. I think one time we figured it to be equiv to about 9ft of rise w/ all the elbows I have in the manifold.

MrPike - I really do like my iwaki and I would keep it if it were feasible, but it's just putting far too much heat back into my tank because I have to have it under the stand next to the sump.

RicksReefs
06/30/2008, 10:15 PM
I went right up to 1 1/2" plumbing coming out of the pump to reduce friction loss, with two 1" feeds split into four 3/4" returns to a 125G (I'm maxing out a dual 1" overflow). the 1 1/2" line also feeds two custom 20 extra longs that are 6 1/2 feet up (1" Feed up, to two 3/4" returns), along with a 40 long (3/4" to two 1/2"), a 75 (3/4"), and a 55 (1/2").

das75
07/01/2008, 09:14 AM
Having recently replaced my MD70RLT, I'm amazed you can life with it under your your tank. Mine was in a basement fish room and reason for replacing with a Barracuda was noise.

As for Dart, though not pressure rated, check the curves. With a 10ft head, they still flow around 1500gph.

btw, have a Dart, wouldn't say runs hot, but does give off heat.

mikeu
07/01/2008, 10:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12852156#post12852156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Curve
I use mag and run them submersed and there is no heat problems. I run a mag 36 at 5" and get around 2900gph so you could probably use an 18 and get the same.

Like any of the other pumps, the Mag will put out heat. Running it submerged just uses the water volume to dissapate the heat. If the goal is to lessen the heat in the stand, this might help but it will increase the temp in your tank.

CAbb
07/01/2008, 01:13 PM
mikeu - it's not just lessening the heat in the stand, but overall that I'm trying to achieve. Because the Iwaki is putting heat into the sump and also heat rising from the stand affects the main display too.

DAS - comparatively speaking though, the dart puts off quite a bit less heat though doesn't it? I think I had looked at the barracuda and similar pumps but that was a bit too much output for me. I also don't want to end up w/ a pump that is going to have so much backpressure created from my system that it ends up putting off excess heat too.

I think I may just end up with one of the Reeflo UNO series pumps, so if anyone uses those, I'd really like some feedback on your experience.

das75
07/01/2008, 08:53 PM
Would say the body of the Iwaki would probably been cooler that my Dart but then it had a lot bigger fan.

As for back pressure vs heat, with these pumps, when you restrict their output they draw less watts so would think less heat.

CAbb
07/01/2008, 10:45 PM
see, now I noticed just the opposite with my iwaki. I have everything on ball valves so I can open it wide up or close it all the way down. Not all my outlets on my manifold are being used at the moment so a few of them are closed but the return to the tank is the biggest culprit for backpressure and I've noticed that if I open it all the way up and let the pump really have at it (which creates FAR too much turbulence in my tank) that I get a lot less heat from the pump. When I neck it back is when the pump heats up.

As for the fan...I took that off the Iwaki some months ago. Because I'm working in such a tight space, the fan was literally only cm's away from the side of the stand and it was creating a terrible mess of dust and debris right in that one small footprint where the fan's output was that it would almost clog up the fan. At the moment I have 2 fans pointed at the pump on high 24/7 to push out some of the heat...

unfortunately it still creates enough heat to cause my problems w/ the overall water temp (I already have halides that I had to quit using for the time being until I resolve the pump issue) and space is at a premium so I'm trying to find the most efficient solution to the pump "heat problem" first and then I'll probably put more fans in my hood so that I can start using the halides again (and yes, even w/out halides on, and w/ the hood open 24/7, I'm still having heat issues).

sjm817
07/02/2008, 06:40 AM
You are using a pump that draws over 300W. That is 300W of heat. Using a different 300W+ pump wont help, especially if it is a water cooled type such as a Mag. You need to use a lower wattage pump to get an improvement.

RokleM
07/02/2008, 08:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12863874#post12863874 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
You are using a pump that draws over 300W. That is 300W of heat. Using a different 300W+ pump wont help, especially if it is a water cooled type such as a Mag. You need to use a lower wattage pump to get an improvement.

Yes and no. It's 300w of heat, but you have to consider what the pump DOES with that heat. Mags are heat machines, espeically as they are internal to the water (adding 300w to the water in this case). PanWorld is another great suggestion for externals, and they pull quite a bit less watts than they state. They have a nice fan that disipates some of that heat out of the water and into the air. I had an Uno Tarpoon, and it ran very well, but understand it is a HUUUUGE pump in physical size. It also has a large fan that gets that heat out/off of the unit.

CAbb
07/02/2008, 12:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12863874#post12863874 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817

That's why I came here and asked :) I know very little about the electrical side of things, pumps being part of that. I know there are a ton of different brnads out there, some of which I'd probably never come across on my own so I asked in order to get a feel for what pumps were best to spend my time reading up on. :)

CAbb
07/02/2008, 01:41 PM
I actually just came across the Reeflo Snapper which caught my eye because it has about 1/3 the watt draw of the Iwaki. Does anyone have any experience w/ that particular pump?