PDA

View Full Version : Deltec Skimmer Help

juniormc8704
06/29/2008, 12:04 PM
I bought a AP702 and got it all up and running yesterday.

I am feeding it with a eheim 1260. Which happens to be the same pump that is used for both needlewheel pumps.

My question is with only maybe a foot of head pressure, is that too much input for this skimmer?

it is rated at zero head pressure at 638 GPH.

if I turn off the needlewheel pump off I get water flowing out of the venturi air lines.

The water level when all pumps are on is well into the riser tube, visible though the collection cup.

Could someone please let me know if this is normal, or if I need to make some changes.

Any help is much appreciated.

Junior

Shawn D
06/29/2008, 12:43 PM
You generally feed skimmers 1.5 times your system volume max, and with the pumps off and water well into the riser tube it sounds like its getting too much water. So I would either valve back the feed pump or switch to a smaller pump. HTH

mikeu
06/29/2008, 01:13 PM
I have a 702 on a 180g (approx. 230g w/ sump) and I use an Eheim 1250 to feed the skimmer (approx. 300 gph). Depending on how I want to skim (wet vs dry), I've found that keeping the water level right where the acrylic meets the black "funnel" works great to skim dry. Raising the water level into the "funnel" to just below where the collection cup connects produces a nice wet skimmate.

juniormc8704
06/30/2008, 07:50 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to those who offered up the help.

I let it be for another day and it seemed to work itself out.

I have the needed pieces to reduce the flow in necessary, but as of right now its kicking out some nasty nog as is.

thanks again

Junior

USC-fan
06/30/2008, 08:13 PM
Glad its working better.

The correct water level with the pumps off is right where the skimmer cup connects to the skimmer. If it is above that just dail the water flow down some.

For your model: 511gph is what deltec recommends. So you should be okay.