PDA

View Full Version : Low light end of tank

Deftones2015
06/30/2008, 01:29 PM
I was hoping to keep a well lit side of a 75 and a poorly lit side of the tank as well for non photosynthetic corals. My question is, besides sun corals, what could I keep successfully? Or can this even be done? My main reasoning is for doing this is I have only 1 MH over a side right now and I am getting a tremendous amount of sponge growth on the rocks, from pink to white sponges and I hate to put another halide over that end and kill the sponges. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Deftones2015
07/01/2008, 02:26 PM
No one has any ideas?

jimbo78
07/01/2008, 02:58 PM
current usa powerbrite lights

salty316
07/07/2008, 11:54 PM
Non-photosynthetic gorgonians (reds, yellows, oranges) maybe carnation corals. But I'd be weary of the carnations, or any brightly colored non-photosynthetic stalked corals.

dendro982
07/08/2008, 08:16 AM
How poorly lit tis the low light end of the tank?

As I see it, there will be the choice between low light tolerant photosynthetic corals - without increased feeding for the system, that may (or may not) lead to improving filtration, and non-photosynthetic corals or other invertebrates( like tube anemone, or feather dusters, or filter feeding sea cucumbers) that do not require light at all, but likely have to be frequently fed and the filtration should be able to process all of this. I, personally, don't like doing massive water changes in the big tanks - too much work.

Pink sponges are not affected by 55W PC light in 1 ft above them, and in my tank they grow more in places, where they are facing the flow and coming with it food.

Low light tolerant corals, that worked for me: neon green candycane, white pom-pom xenia, Kenya three, green hairy mushrooms.

Non-photosynthetic corals:
Different colors of the sun coral or maybe dendrophyllia (cheaper and expensive, both are LPS, manual feeding twice a week, but are very bright and hardy IMHE), if you have a good sponges growth - candycane sponge and the nocturnal chili coral may work (but it is unreliable, hit-or-miss situation), it seems that most of available non-photosynthetic corals are gorgonians (some more reliable, than others, blueberry is impossible, IMHE again, and the choice depends on the availability, not much here), and soft and inflating scleronephthya and dendronephthya (very high flow, fine specialized food).

Most of them are doable, the too difficult are dendronephthya and blueberry gorgonian.

If you can describe (or post a photo, some LFS allow that) of the corals you would like to have, I can provide the links to information about their keeping.