PDA

View Full Version : overflow and sump help

g0rFz
06/30/2008, 09:54 PM
so i recently purchased a 75 gallon hexagon acrylic aquarium and i'd like to add a sump/refugium under it. i have a 20 gallon tank i'd like to use for all of this which isn't that hard for me to figure out.

my problem is what kind of overflow and how do i know how much i need gph wise going through my sump? i've been looking at designs for overflows and i'm not sure if there is any real benefit to designs such as all the way across the back or just the top 6 inches or so built in or even a siphoning overflow...although that seems like it has the biggest chance of flooding.

since i'm in the beginning of this project i'm trying not to make mistakes and i have a lot of room to play with in terms of different ideas for my sump and overflow design.

what overflow should i use first of all, pros and cons of different styles etc?

coralfragger101
07/01/2008, 06:02 AM
Not sure of any real benefit to designs such as all the way across the back? ==== this would give you the most surface skimming possible. I think that's a big plus.

siphoning overflow having the biggest chance of flooding? ===== exactly opposite. If you go with Beananimals 3 pipe silent and fail safe set up.