PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Wrasse (Ornate Wrasse)

falconut
07/01/2008, 06:02 AM
I've been considering one of these guys.

http://www.seatrademarine.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Christmas_Wrasse.jpg

I know they sleep in the sand, but how do you QT them? My QT is a bare bottom. Would it be OK in the bare bottom or would I need to put a container with sand in the QT?

Also, I have 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and a CBS. I wouldn't want to risk them. Are these guys likely to attach and eat them? How about the BL Hermits?

mx36
07/01/2008, 08:14 AM
When I had mine it never seemed to bother the cleaner shrimp, but I did see him nip at crabs and snails. Never seen him actually eat any just harrased them.

Slakker
07/01/2008, 08:18 AM
I would put a container of sand in the QT for it. A lack of suitable substrate/sleeping quarters for 4-6 weeks would probably be incredibly stressful for it.

FlyinggFish
07/01/2008, 09:32 AM
Def. would need sand. Wrasses go in the sand for protection, either because they're scared or when they go to sleep, & when you put him in a new tank he's def. going to be scared and need protection.

Good luck and beautiful wrasse.

FlyinggFish
07/01/2008, 09:36 AM
Your wrasse will probably eat the crabs eventually, once he figures out what they are. My wrasses eats all invertebrates, except for my Coral Bandit Shrimp, he never touched it. I read that wrasse are a little compatible with shrimp. I think as long at the shrimp was in the tank before the fish, you might be ok. But I would watch closely when you put the fish in the tank, eventually though, you might start noticing your crabs disappearing.