PDA

View Full Version : Help with a 10g FOWLR

BlueNano22
07/01/2008, 08:01 PM
Well, I just started my 10g FOWLR again after some complications and I had to give it up. So now I started all over and I'm really excited. Everything has been up and running for about 2 weeks now and I'm not really sure what I should be doing now. There seems to be a filmy substance that sits on the the surface. Is that what a protein skimmer is for? Haha...I don't know...help me!

Moonstream
07/01/2008, 08:35 PM
a skimmer is for remove dissolved nutrients (I think they are called TDS?) from the water, the film comes form not having enough water curculation to break the surface. Get a few PHs and ponit them at the surface and it should go away.

what are you planning to keep in the 10g? doesnt seem like much of a fowler...

cherubfish pair
07/01/2008, 10:36 PM
More filtration and as Moonstream says, more circulation. When you get more filtration, you also get more circulation.

BlueNano22
07/02/2008, 06:48 AM
I have a PH but it's aimed towards the center. I'll aim it towards to the surface to see if that helps.

I'm planning on keeping a couple clowns maybe? And because it's been up for about 2 weeks now, and its starting to get a little brown on the glass, is is about time for a clean up crew?

phenom5
07/02/2008, 09:06 AM
A protein skimmer removes dissolved organics, which is different then TDS. TDS is Total Dissolved Solids, and is used to measure water purity, generally used when testing water after RO/DI filtration. In a skimmer, dissolved organics "stick" to the surface of bubbles, the bubbles go up, water goes down...dissolved organics are removed. Think of it as the reef aquariums version of foam/ waves hitting the beach.

Powerheads pointed at the surface will help with the film.

As far as the cleaning crew goes, it depends on where your at in your cycle. If your ammonia & nitrites are 0, then you should be finishing up with your cycle. I would do a 10-20% water change, wait a week, then check your parameters again. If NH4 & NO2 are still at 0, then I'd add a clean up crew.

HTH :thumbsup:

BlueNano22
07/02/2008, 02:17 PM
Alrighty. I'll do a water change either today or in a couple days because I'm leaving for Florida on Saturday and I'll be gone for a week.

Does a FOWLR really need a protein skimmer or not?

BlueNano22
07/02/2008, 05:05 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q86/thirdcup13/fishies002.jpg

here it is so far. And all that filmy stuff is gone off the surface:)

Sorry if the pic is crap :(

BlueNano22
07/02/2008, 05:20 PM
think i should change the substrate?....g's....i'm having major decision issues.....

BlueNano22
07/03/2008, 09:08 AM
In the case i do change my substrate....would that screw up my cycle?

Lowredranger
07/03/2008, 10:09 AM
What kind of filtration do you currently have?

As far as the substrate I do not usually see the fake substrate in saltwater aquariums anymore. Were you going to plan on vacuuming it out when you do water changes?

Moonstream
07/03/2008, 06:14 PM
I would change the substrate, I personally hate anything that dosent look natural. also, SW tends to errode the colored paint off the gravel over time, IME.

I would switch to a DSB (it will IMO provide more filtration) and I would add a few sp. of macro algaes if you dont want to get a skimmer.

if it were my tank, I would add the sand and macro algaes and then add in a mix of trimma and eviota species. maybe 5 in all. or I would do a pair of B&W clowns, or 1 B&W clown, a yellow clown goby and a neon goby with black sand.

cherubfish pair
07/03/2008, 06:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12863906#post12863906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BlueNano22
I have a PH but it's aimed towards the center. I'll aim it towards to the surface to see if that helps.

I'm planning on keeping a couple clowns maybe? And because it's been up for about 2 weeks now, and its starting to get a little brown on the glass, is is about time for a clean up crew?
The best thing for glass is elbow grease. Every clean-up-crew I had died within days. I'm sorry to tell you all, but convenience and home reefs don't go good together.

BlueNano22
07/04/2008, 01:45 PM
Well thanks for the feedback.

And I do leave tomorrow for Florida and I was wondering if it's possible to buy anything down there, such as some macro algae, and then bring it back. Cuz there really isn't much around where I live in Wisconsin.

BlueNano22
07/14/2008, 02:01 PM
Well...didn't really find much in florida....but thats not what was really there for so it's alright. I think by the end of this week is when I'll start adding some inverts.

manhorsedog
07/14/2008, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12880310#post12880310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BlueNano22
Well thanks for the feedback.

And I do leave tomorrow for Florida and I was wondering if it's possible to buy anything down there, such as some macro algae, and then bring it back. Cuz there really isn't much around where I live in Wisconsin.

well isnt it your lucking day

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?c=3578&gid=388

in your state and an awesome place for anything you need