PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Clown

ghuffer
07/02/2008, 07:10 AM
I'm not sure if he is sick or not but his stomach has swelled over the last week I didn't think much of it cuase it wasn't huge and it's my large clown thought I might be get ready to spawn or something. I very new to this that's why I only have 2 false clowns. I'm not out to kill fish. But last night it began to have trouble staying right side up. It would swim real hard to stay right and get tired and start to drift up sideways. So I put him in hypo for a bit hoping it would help. I think it did atleast this morning it's not swollen anymore and swimming fine with no trouble. Did I do the right thing? What was wrong with it. Any help would be appreciatied

D to the P
07/06/2008, 09:30 PM
Well the hypo is usually used for when the fish has an external parasite, which it doesn't sound like it had. I'm not exactly what it had, but it sounds like a swim bladder infection. I'm curious how the hypo could have helped that (if that's what it was at all), or if was something else that happened to the fish sometime during the treatment or overnight.

kevin2000
07/06/2008, 10:50 PM
Have you been feeding your fish food on the surface of the tank? Some fish (including clowns) have been known to ingest air when surface feeding.

ghuffer
07/07/2008, 06:56 AM
yes it was feeding flakes off the surface and sucking in a lot of air and I belive that was the problem. I now have some pellets to add that sink from the surface a bit and I haven't had an issue since.