PDA

View Full Version : Ph Spike

eisaiasjr
07/03/2008, 07:15 AM
Hello:

This is something that has probably happened to me 100 times before... but for the first time (and thanks to my new Biotopus II) I cought it for the first time.

My new tank has been running at around 7.9 to 8 PH since I set it up last week and today I added some 8.3 ph buffer solution to it, I added 3 teaspoons of of it since as per directions that was the recommended dose... my ph immediately spiked to 8.4 on the Biotopus II and has been stable since (for the last 45 minutes or so). I understand that I should have not added so much in 1 shot and done it in a more measured manner in order to prevent the spike, but that is no longer an option since I already spiked the ph to 8.4.

My question... Is there anything I should do now to bring down the ph to 8.3? or is it just a waitting game from this point? I have not tested for calcium/alk yet however I suspect it will be good since its seawater that was added just a few days ago.

All the other components of the tank are old pre-cured rock, etc from my 2 old tanks that I merged into this new one.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome,

Regards,

E

stingythingy45
07/03/2008, 07:35 AM
Just leave it alone.
And stop chasing PH around,it changes from lights on to lights off.
All you really need to do is keep your Alk between 9-11 DKH.

eisaiasjr
07/03/2008, 07:41 AM
Bob:

Thank you for your reply, the reason why I added the buffer is because I had recorded data for the last 3 days from my B2 showing a fluctuation of ph from 7.9 to 8.0 only ...

I will check on the alk/cal/mag and report back.

Tkx again,

E

will16
07/03/2008, 07:42 AM
Those ph buffers will only hold that elevated ph for a short time. In my experience it will come right back down in an hour or so. I have found that keeping alk, calc and mg in check along with proper aeration will take care of your ph. Try opening the windows near the tank. 7.9 -8 is not that bad.

stingythingy45
07/03/2008, 07:50 AM
^^^^

lol....exactly what I was going to say.
Don't sweat about PH.
Just keep that alk,calcium and Mg. correct.The Mg. will help to stabalize the other two and keep precipitation down.
If you're still having dips in PH during the night and want to stabalize that.A refugium with chaeto on a reverse light cycle is the way to go.Secondly dripping kalk at night works great also.
But that's a little more involved.

jdieck
07/03/2008, 07:58 AM
Note that PH buffers are basically alkalinity buffers, they should never be added if the alkalinity is at a proper level.
For what is worth seawater usually has an alkalinity on the low side of the recommended range. As a general guideline do not add anything you have not measured before. For chemistry test and adjust as required and for that you can use the chemistry calculator. Also if not yet set up once the tank is cycled you may want to start a supplementation regime to maintain calcium, alkalinity and magnesium stable.

kevin2000
07/03/2008, 09:19 AM
As others have stated ... you don't control PH - just make sure you have a decent alkalinity combined with some surface water agitation. A decent alkalinity test kit is a must.