PDA

View Full Version : Zoa question....

Moosetache
07/03/2008, 09:51 AM
Just wondering if there is anything I can do to get rid of this "green overgrowth" on this zoo rock......pics are below.

I guess it is some king of caulerpa, but it has gotten pretty bad over the past few weeks and I am concerned about the health of my colony....not to mention it is just an eyesore!!!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z295/mrf2675/photo-1.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z295/mrf2675/photo.jpg

D to the P
07/03/2008, 09:42 PM
I would think that you'd have to get something to eat it if pulling it off isn't working.

chatyak
07/03/2008, 09:58 PM
Watch out for Calpaurea releasing spores too by the way.

Moosetache
07/06/2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I am worried about it releasing spores.....there is not that much in there right now. If I was to try to harvest the polyps to a new rock, what is the best way to do that?

My guess:

pull out the peice, put it in a bowl of tank water, get a razor blade, and start cutting.....

I guess another option is to harvest as much of the infesting caulerpa off the rock and then find something that may eat it before I try to harvest the polyps..

Esquare
07/06/2008, 09:27 PM
Holy cow! That's pretty bad! You may wish to ask over in the Zoanthids forum, they may have some ideas.

If you see a 7 year old and a 10 year old tearing up the town down there in Raleigh, it’s just my 2 boys visiting grandma and grandpa.

otrlynn
07/06/2008, 09:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12891958#post12891958 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Moosetache
My guess:

pull out the peice, put it in a bowl of tank water, get a razor blade, and start cutting.....

I guess another option is to harvest as much of the infesting caulerpa off the rock and then find something that may eat it before I try to harvest the polyps..

Read up on fragging zoas. I've never done it but I understand it is best done while wearing gloves and making sure that you don't touch your face/eyes while doing it. Make sure that bowl of tank water gets dumped immediately and washed well; better yet use something you can throw away. Some zoanthids (probably the minority) are very toxic and it is my understanding that it is impossible to know which ones are. I'm sure you can get more advice from someone with experience.

tmz
07/06/2008, 11:17 PM
Tweezers .

jeweldamsel
07/06/2008, 11:27 PM
Caulerpa is very aggressive. They can out grow your corals and overtake your tank in months. I would put a yellow tang in your tank.