PDA

View Full Version : SPS disease?

UCBryant
07/03/2008, 02:24 PM
Hey all, I don't have pictures as this problem showed up only a few days ago.

It appeared that, literally overnight some rot showed up at the base of a couple of my sps colonies. One is a brown polyp/purple base digitata, another a bird's nest, and the third just started showing the same symptoms (i completely forgot what kind this is though).

Specifically, it looks as if the coral is dying from the base up. The polyps are completely gone and all you see is bare white skeleton, but only at the base of the colony (where it is cemented to the plug or rock).

I know i've seen this problem while perusing forums before, but can't seem to find info on it now. Is there a solution? I'm thinking about starting weekly to 2x/week water changes very soon.

Edit: more info

The digitata has been in my tank for maybe 8 months and has grown considerably. The other two frags have been in the tank for maybe 3 weeks. So, it is likely not acclimation shock. I'll try to get pictures soon.

UCBryant
07/03/2008, 02:59 PM
Well i guess this is funny... Found some info point to RTN (rapid tissue necrosis).

Last week something must have died in the tank. Water quality went to trash and I had to do an emergency water change. Everything appeared to recover completely, but I guess I was wrong. The shock from this chemistry change must have induced the necrosis.

Question now is... Do I frag these tiny guys now? or try and keep the quality pristine and hope they recover?

volcom69
07/03/2008, 03:44 PM
I would frag them and save what you can from them if it is RTN then the frag might not last to long.