PDA

View Full Version : Going away for a week in August...lights or no lights?

littlemannin
07/04/2008, 07:24 AM
Just throwing out a census. I'm going away for a week and a tank sitter is not possible. Its a 55 gallon with just crabs, a 3 spot hogfish, and many mushrooms. Heat buildup has always been a problem for me. It runs about 86 degrees in the summer with all my windows open at night with fans blowing, and I use cold fresh water for top-off to keep it in check. When I go away I have to close all my windows. So I was thinking maybe killing the lights for the week for a best case scenario. But will the shrooms fair well without the lights on? The lights are 130w PC.

Any input or experience stories would be greatly appreciated!

sdheath
07/04/2008, 07:35 AM
Lights off. It will keep the heat down and, not only will your mushrooms survive, but you may find everything healthier when you get back. I run lights off/no food for 4-5 days a couple of times per year just because the tank always looks better afterward.

How will you handle top offs while you're gone?

littlemannin
07/04/2008, 07:40 AM
I don't typically lose a lot of water in a week. (about 2 gallons or less) All my equipment is below where the low level is so I "shouldn't" fry anything.

HaywoodJafragit
07/04/2008, 08:11 AM
No lights at all is a little bit radical for a week, I would change the timer to start at 1:00 AM and turn off the lights 7:00 AM, then heat shouldn't be an issue and the mushrooms will have enough light.

DEXNC
07/04/2008, 08:50 AM
Lights of, shroons will be fine

wrott
07/04/2008, 09:08 AM
I'd go lights off, with only shrooms you should be fine.
I noticed after switching from a PC(130w coralife) w/ internal ballast to a 150w MH(remote ballast) my temp decreased 3-4 degrees.

SWaquariast
07/04/2008, 09:21 AM
Get get a timer and it will take care of it for you. They cost $10 You should have a timer on there any way.

SWaquariast
07/04/2008, 09:23 AM
It also sounds like you need a chiller. I would spend the money for a the well being of my livestock.

Sk8r
07/04/2008, 09:30 AM
I was interested to watch the bonaire reefcam during the transit of a hurricane over the site---bear with me: this is germane.
Before the camera went out, the ordinarily bright reef endured several days of murk, total at least 5 days of it. These things happen in nature. Corals survive.

scrmbld33
07/04/2008, 09:40 AM
lights off should be fine,

pledosophy
07/04/2008, 02:50 PM
I am sure the mushrooms will be fine, but what kind of affects are no lights for a week going to have on your pH?

I would try it out now when you can monitor it and see how it goes, then if all is well you can do it when your gone.

Another option would be to get a timer and only run the lights for a few hours a day, but run the lights from like midnight to 4am so the lights are on in the coolest part of the day.

HTH