PDA

View Full Version : Frogspwan Dying or Excreting Waste?

hilde123
07/05/2008, 07:49 AM
I noticed this morning that there is what appears to be a halo around a couple heads on my frogspawn. The frogspawn has been in my tank for 8 mos or so without any troubles.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd317/hilde5962/180/DSCF1431.jpg

Does anyone know if this is a disease or parasite or just what frogspawn looks likw when it is dying. Will it affect the rest of the coral do I need to remove these heads? The rest of the corals appear to be doing fine.
Thanks

Aquabucket
07/05/2008, 08:35 AM
Looks like it may be a brown jelly infection to me. Try hitting it with a quick blast of water flow to see if any tissue comes off. Branching frogspawns can grow quite fast so I would remove the infected heads and not take the chance of it spreading to the other ones.

hilde123
07/05/2008, 10:57 AM
I hit it with a blast of water and the brown tissue blew off leaving the polyps which look alright except they are not extended at all. How can I determine if it is the brown jelly inspection. And more importantly how do I get rid of it?

acrodave
07/05/2008, 11:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12884135#post12884135 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hilde123
I hit it with a blast of water and the brown tissue blew off leaving the polyps which look alright except they are not extended at all. How can I determine if it is the brown jelly inspection. And more importantly how do I get rid of it?

ouch blowing it into the tank was a bad idea. bji is very contagious and what that looked like to me is bji. you have to suck out as much as you can and cut off the dead or dieing heads

hilde123
07/05/2008, 01:50 PM
Is bji contagious to other corals in the tank or just the heads of the coral that it has attacked.

Aquabucket
07/05/2008, 02:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12884994#post12884994 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hilde123
Is bji contagious to other corals in the tank or just the heads of the coral that it has attacked.

Its common with euphyllia but can attack other LPS. I've seen it with shrooms before as well. IME it will spread to corals in close proximity as opposed to ones across the tank. I have seen plenty of corals survive infections if treated quickly.

Poor flow causing build up of organic matter around/between the tentacles can cause this bacterial infection to occur.

hilde123
07/08/2008, 07:02 PM
I broke of the infected heads 3 days ago and have not lost anymore heads, phew. But now I noticed that my sps which is about 6 inches away is starting to dye or bleach real quick, like 30% lost (its about 6" in diameter) last night. Is this something else, I thought BJI only affected LPS?