PDA

View Full Version : Moving advice??!!

hemineglect
07/07/2008, 09:42 AM
I'm moving at the end of the month. I've had to move the tank a couple of times previously (within 1 hr drive) and both times have resulted in disaster. Most of my coral and clams have perished. I'm moving farther away and I will have to move at least twice in 3 months time. Does anyone have any advice on moving long distances?

areze
07/07/2008, 09:44 AM
get trashcans and other containers to hold water, rock, and fish.

get battery powered air pumps also for the ride.

hemineglect
07/07/2008, 10:05 AM
do you think i'll need to buy a new tank to set up prior to moving the live stuff? is it possible to put the stuff in containers, then drive up, and set up the tank? do you think the live stuff could withstand 24h in containers (provided that they are the appropriate temp)?

areze
07/07/2008, 10:10 AM
they should be fine. your trouble is in liferocks that have corals on them. DSB is also a potential problem.

borderreef
07/07/2008, 10:21 AM
Are you going to be able to move everything in one trip?

hemineglect
07/07/2008, 10:27 AM
i doubt it.

areze
07/07/2008, 10:29 AM
that is a problem...

how much do you have? might want to part with your livestock/coral if you can. get it going again in 3 months when your settled.

dmilne85
07/07/2008, 11:14 AM
it sounds like your best option is to sell off your livestock and like areze said, get it going once your settled. Everytime ive moved my tank i dump my old sand out and start out with a new sand bed, and i was successfull with that, never lost a coral. only lost a blue chromis due to swimming into a piece of liverock and never coming back..:(

Newreeflady
07/07/2008, 11:32 AM
I just moved across the country. I lost a couple of sps, but clams & fish lived.

I converted a cooler into a portable aquarium. I ran a heater, airstone & powerhead off an inverter. I used marine buffer to keep the pH, and Amquel for ammonia. I brought DI for top off. I tested ammonia, pH & salinity twice a day.

The move was 3 days.

Best,
Angela