PDA

View Full Version : help with stocking

Penguintheory
07/07/2008, 02:48 PM
ok i will start by saying i am a little new to reef tanks but i have had swim tanks for years.

I have a 20gal tank with a HOB refugium, very small skimmer, and a 250 watt 15k MH.

This tank with the exception of the light has been setup for around 9 months now with a few inverts, kenya tree, few mushrooms. I have had the Mh on the tank for about a month.
I do weekly water change and my water quatity has been great but now i would like to start stalking my tank with corals and i know with the amount of light i am running i will mostley be stocking sps coral, i have only done softy's in the past so i am not sure where to start.

Any advice is welcome!

Chris C.

rustrocker
07/07/2008, 06:08 PM
Even with the high lighting, if you acclimate the corals to the light properly you can do some softies/LPS.. but as far as SPS maybe start with some montipora

Penguintheory
07/08/2008, 07:33 AM
thanks for the advice.

weimers75
07/08/2008, 11:35 AM
What type of additives are you using? You'll need to get a test kit for calcium and alk if you plan on doing sps - they require alot of calcium to be healthy and grow. Stable water parameters are just as important as lighting with sps.