PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead placement

twoodall
07/08/2008, 02:07 PM
Another RC improvement. I have just gotten 3 Koralia 4s. Last week, I think it was, it was discussed about placement of these. It was suggested that I have one in the Center as near the surface as possible, the other two off to the side with one pointing up and the other pointing down.

As some may be aware of the up and down are at maximum somewhere around a 45 degree angle. Should I place one low in the tank flowing upward? One high in the tank flowing downward? Or should the two be level on the back of the tank and directed up or down?

Suggestions? Insight?

Capn?

stingythingy45
07/08/2008, 02:22 PM
This is something that every Reefer has to experiment on their own with.It really depends on your rock work as well.
I have both my PHs on the back wall about 4 inches in from the side near the top.The flow meets in the middles and disperses across the front substrate.I would suspect you're going to have some wrinkled hands and water dripping off your elbows before you're satisfied.And then you might add a coral and change everything anyways.lol

weluvfish54
07/08/2008, 02:45 PM
all on preference really..
i am mine up towards surface to give the tank oxygen..

Playa-1
07/08/2008, 02:47 PM
I agree with Bob. You will have to figure out what works best for you.

I would likely have two of them pointing towards each other from opposite ends of the tank. Then have the third aimed across the back of the tank or where additional flow is needed. The height of the powerheads are optional. You will kick up some serious sand if your not careful.

pledosophy
07/08/2008, 02:49 PM
You just have to play with them. Every tank is different.

To help see where the flow is moving adding an airline to the grill behind the pump will send out a string of bubbles and you can see where the water is moving.

I would be looking at having one point behind or through the rocks, one pointing across the tank at an opposite angle then the retruns creating some surface aggitation. One pointing some place else depending on the corals. I.E. I have one of my Koralia's pointed across the SPS patch.

HTH
HTH

twoodall
07/08/2008, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun playing in the tank! I put them in just to see how they worked, the fish seemed to enjoy the extra flow, they seemed to be more active.

phish guy
07/08/2008, 08:38 PM
one of my koralis is nice and close to the surface, pointing across some of the wall and across the valley. it pulls a nice lil whirl pool at the surface, works great for feeding time, pulls the pellets right down. the other one points into the valley and intersects with some of the flow from the other. nice turbulent flow.

ser_renely
07/09/2008, 10:11 AM
I chose my placement on susbrate storms :-\ pointed up, and across the whole tank to limit it from creating huge wholes in the sand. When I had them on the back angled to the center of the tank I was in a sandstorm.