PDA

View Full Version : clownfish-picasso,snowflake,misbar and others

douglam
07/08/2008, 02:49 PM
what is the difference between these different morphs? what make a picasso a picasso, a snowflake a snowflake and so on? how to tell a true picasso from a not so true picasso?

rustybucket145
07/08/2008, 03:19 PM
Sometimes it's hard to tell....
Here's my fav picasso!

http://www.craftsinindia.com/newcraftsimages/HDSG00023SEWFW.jpg

:D

Slakker
07/08/2008, 03:26 PM
IIRC, picasso clownfish have connecting white between the head and body stripe, and snowflakes are almost entirely white.

InsaneClownFish
07/08/2008, 03:42 PM
douglam- I understand your question, but please keep in mind that there is not "true" picasso, snowflake, or misbars. These clowns are not a particular genus or sub-species, and while there may be an anomaly out in nature it is still an Ocealaris or Percula.

The particular anomaly has been taken and bred out to highlight a particular trait but it does not make the fish a new breed IMHO.

Picassos are an ORA farm thing.
Snowflakes....ummm didn't those originate with Japanese breeders.
Misbars are more common and sometimes are breed out for this trait. You'll find them across a variety of breeders from ORA to Sustainable Aquatics

As for the descriptions, Slakker is spot on. Hope this helps.

Doahh
07/08/2008, 05:00 PM
I think Naked clowns are easy to tell apart...

InsaneClownFish
07/08/2008, 06:27 PM
Some people treat naked clowns like they're a sacrilege, personally, I think they're pretty cute.

douglam
07/08/2008, 08:49 PM
ok i guess my next question is what is the difference between the grades of picasso clownfish, A,B,C. how do you tell? what characterstics put them into these categories

Moonstream
07/08/2008, 09:53 PM
PICASSO CLOWNS- originated at ORA farms, bred carefully to enhance the white coloration; have quite a bit of white, but only about 50% of the body is covered. are True Perculas and will exibit all ofther trates besides enhanced white coloration.

SNOWFLAKE CLOWNS- an ocellaris (AKA False Percula) clown with most of the body covered in white markings, but exibiting all other ocellaris trates.

NAKED CLOWNS- an ocellaris with NO white coloration (pretty much the opposite of snowflakes)

MIS BAR CLOWNS- can be ANY species, and is simply a fish that has an irregular stripe pattern (for example a break or absence of a white marking); might sometimes have extra white; but never to the extent of a snowflake or picasso.

none of these is a species of its own. much like the black ocellaris; they are simply morphs produced from careful breeding.

as for 'grades' of picassos; I would say that (presuming the specimen is an adult with full coloration) a grade A (highest grade) would be one with pure, crisp white markings scattered in patches throughout the body, and a great percula body shape. It would also have clean black markings surrounding the white in the true percula fashion.

a grade B (middle grade) would have less white markings (closer to normal percula markings) and/or an abnormal body shape for a percula.

a grade C (low grade) would have less white markings (closer to normal percula markings) and an abnormal body shape for a percula.

IMO it depends on opionion. this is just how I see grades in them, I dont belive that they are sold acording to grade.