PDA

View Full Version : Fragging multiple leathers

emm0909
07/09/2008, 07:35 AM
I have read that you should only propogate one leather at a time, let the tank sit for several days then prop the next. I guess it depends on a lot of factors like tank volume and how many corals youre actually propogating. But in a 100 gallon system, twelve frags of a leather, think I should wait a certian amount of time before I hack my toadstool?

fatrip
07/09/2008, 08:36 AM
it does depend on water volume as well as how friquent you do water changes, do you have any SPS in the tank, any corals that are prone to stress. also has to do with how much carbon you run. leathers will make there waters very toxic with fighting each other. i would suggest only fraggin one type at a time depending on how many frags you are making. if it is only like 4 frags per softy then that is fine to do them all but if you are fraging 10-15 of each i would suspect that the toxins it the water for each would inhibit healing unless you run a large system with lots of carbon.

badguitarist
07/10/2008, 02:00 AM
have you thought about fragging them out of the tank and then soaking them in tank water in a bucket while they slime off all their toxins. it wont eliminate all the toxins from the tank water but it will reduce them significantly

emm0909
07/10/2008, 09:41 AM
Pull it out, cut it up and just put it in a small bucket of tank water. How long, just a dip? Or could I put them in for ten minutes then grab them and swish them around in the water to move a little more off then put them in the tank? Please add to that.

fatrip
07/10/2008, 09:45 AM
yup pull out, cut, then just swoosh in the bucket. i would let the sit for a min in the bucket then swoosh again and mount them.

emm0909
07/10/2008, 09:57 AM
Awesome. Thanks guys.

Legacy2005
07/14/2008, 12:34 PM
im glad i searched here and found this thread. had planned on going home tonight and fraging the leather i have has it has started to take over a side of my tank and with a 24 gal tank ill have to watch the toxins. probably wouldnt hurt to throw another bag of carbon in to help with what is left over.