PDA

View Full Version : Pan World Magnetic Pump Problems

Subotai
07/09/2008, 11:37 AM
I have just picked up a Pan World 40PX Magnetic Water Pump (used) to drive my chiller and notice how amazingly loud it is. I'm thinking there might be a problem with the pump because on reviews that I have read about the pump talk about how quiet it is. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? A remedy? Thanks in advance.
-S

Hop
07/09/2008, 11:58 AM
Can you describe the noise?

It could be anything from something stuck inside, to a mounting/vibration issue to a bent fan.

Or those could be three things to look at:D

Subotai
07/09/2008, 12:08 PM
I'll record and post the sound tonight if that helps.

reef_only
07/09/2008, 12:17 PM
depends on how old the pump is but if it's unusual sound, you may want to check if anything stuck inside or something from the fan in the back.

Subotai
07/09/2008, 12:27 PM
I guess my biggest fear is that the pump is loud to start with and that I'm stuck with it. My tank is in my living room and I found myself turning the TV way up because of the pump noise. Hopefully, hopefully, it can be remedied. How loud do these pumps tend to be? Can you compare it to another sound level? I'm assuming that they are close to whisper quiet in general. Maybe a tad louder.

Jefe12234
07/09/2008, 12:35 PM
Well they are quiet for an external pump (my Mak-4 is much louder). But an external pump is almost always going to be louder than a submersible pump, so if that's what you're comparing it to then it may seem loud. My 50px-x has a subtle whirring sound to it, but it would only seem loud running outside the stand in a quiet room. I would check the things Hop mentioned. I've definitely noticed the increased noise from mounting it in a way that transfers vibrations. A mouse pad underneath it may cure that. Also, using flexible tubing may reduce noise.

reef_only
07/09/2008, 01:07 PM
The noise is proportional the the pressure the pump is pushing, if it drives the low pressure head then it is much quieter; however, if it has to drives the high head then the pump itself becomes noiser and also the sound from water running in the pipe with high velocity. Vibration is also something needed to pay attention, a soft pad underneath and using flex hose at the in/out will also help.

Subotai
07/09/2008, 01:28 PM
Good advice... I'll look into it. Thanks.