PDA

View Full Version : Contact ReefCentral Mods

rpeeples
07/09/2008, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know how we can contact the RC Mods other than PM? Do they have email addresses or phone numbers?

Is there public information available as to how long RC Mods have been in the reefing hobby and what their experience level is? I know someone like Randy has been invaluable to this site and I appreciate his time and effort educating us on the chemistry of reefing.

One last item, do RC Mods/Admins own or work for any type of marine or aquarium supply, retail, or manufacturing companies? And would this information be public knowledge?

aslavatortin
07/09/2008, 12:01 PM
Why?

rpeeples
07/09/2008, 12:31 PM
Good question, interested in the their level of experience and understanding in the hobby. Additionally it would be beneficial to know what kind of systems they run (i.e. FOWLR, SPS, 200G +, etc). As far their affiliations within the industry it would allow a hobbyst life myself a better understanding of advice or input received as do they have experience with certain products.

I guess some sort of biography page would be kewl to get the know the folks moderating the threads.

BlueCorn
07/09/2008, 12:37 PM
While many of them are, moderators aren't choose because they're necessarily subject matter experts. Most of us have tank descriptions in our profiles. They run the gamut from nano reefs to hundreds of gallons. If you're paying attention you might even find a few previous TOTM winners.

Just like sponsors or any other commercial entity, if they have a connection with a specific portion of the industry they aren't allowed to talk about it; i.e. for the purpose of this discussion assume that I build sumps (I don't). As a moderator I wouldn't be allowed to discuss my sump, or another vendors sumps anywhere on the board. If I disregarded that, I'd be removed from my position.

Sponsors are allowed to discuss products, but only within the confines of their own forum.

J. Montgomery
07/09/2008, 12:49 PM
RC Admin > RC Mod

Michael
07/09/2008, 12:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911269#post12911269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rpeeples
Does anyone know how we can contact the RC Mods other than PM? Do they have email addresses or phone numbers?

Is there public information available as to how long RC Mods have been in the reefing hobby and what their experience level is? I know someone like Randy has been invaluable to this site and I appreciate his time and effort educating us on the chemistry of reefing.

One last item, do RC Mods/Admins own or work for any type of marine or aquarium supply, retail, or manufacturing companies? And would this information be public knowledge?

whats this all about then, whats the problem, if you want info id suggest a pm to who ever you want info about, if its done in private im sure they will let you know what you want to know, im sure they wont bite

Reefcherie
07/09/2008, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911682#post12911682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
im sure they wont bite

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/60/209937171_808515701b.jpg

:lol: You just never know though.........

rpeeples
07/09/2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the response Beerguy. What are your thoughts on doing some sort of Biography Page for the Admins and Moderators? I think it would allow us to get to know some of the folks here on RC a little better.

Could you share some of months the Mods/Admi folks were TOTM?

Michael, I never stated there was a problem. I was just looking for additional information of the moderators and/or admins. And as far as biting my trigger takes care of that for me ;)

Michael
07/09/2008, 01:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911750#post12911750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rpeeples
Thanks for the response Beerguy. What are your thoughts on doing some sort of Biography Page for the Admins and Moderators? I think it would allow us to get to know some of the folks here on RC a little better.

Could you share some of months the Mods/Admi folks were TOTM?

Michael, I never stated there was a problem. I was just looking for additional information of the moderators and/or admins. And as far as biting my trigger takes care of that for me ;)

faie enough, sorry about that then, it just seemed a funny situation thats all, just seemed weird, sorry pal

rpeeples
07/09/2008, 01:10 PM
Mike...no worries mate......I really think they should get more credit than they do as they put up with a lot of @##$.

Like I stated earlier. Randy Holmes-Farley has been a blessing to me and I am sure many others.

I would just like to know the mods a little better and their experience in the industry.

BlueCorn
07/09/2008, 01:14 PM
TRC folks:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/totm/index.php
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/totm/index.php
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/totm/index.php

Mods/Admins:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-09/totm/index.php
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/totm/index.php
http://www.reefcentral.com/totm/2001-01/index.php
http://www.reefcentral.com/totm/2001-08/index.php
http://www.reefcentral.com/totm/2000-04/index.php

sk8rreefgeek
07/09/2008, 01:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911813#post12911813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rpeeples
.....I really think they should get more credit than they do as they put up with a lot of @##$.

haha, ya. like mine

BlueCorn
07/09/2008, 01:17 PM
In regard to a formal biography page. That's not something that we require. If you're curious about someone, ask them. The level of privacy that folks are comfortable with is up to them.

Cheers

Michael
07/09/2008, 01:22 PM
wow to those set ups, when my goldfish bowl looks like their reefs, i will enter tank of the month, he-he, yeh right 1 day

JRechcygl
07/09/2008, 01:32 PM
I can see the arguement from both angles, I'm guessing it sounds like a curiosity issue. I mean I sure at some point everone one here has wondered, what do they look like?, whats their tank all about and I wonder if they are enjoyable company and all that jive.

BlueCorn
07/09/2008, 01:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911813#post12911813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rpeeples

Like I stated earlier. Randy Holmes-Farley has been a blessing to me and I am sure many others.

I heard that Randy sells drugs.

BlueCorn
07/09/2008, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911979#post12911979 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JRechcygl
I can see the arguement from both angles, I'm guessing it sounds like a curiosity issue. I mean I sure at some point everone one here has wondered, what do they look like?, whats their tank all about and I wonder if they are enjoyable company and all that jive.

Believe it or not, there are some pretty unstable folks in the Internet. If you received the volume of hate mail, death threats, unnatural claims about our ancestral heritage, etc you'd understand why many prefer to remain as anonymous as possible.

aslavatortin
07/09/2008, 01:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911990#post12911990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy

ahahhahahahahhahahahahahha:lol:

aslavatortin
07/09/2008, 01:38 PM
rpeeples, I like the idea of bio pages :thumbsup:.

Michael
07/09/2008, 01:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912006#post12912006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
Believe it or not, there are some pretty unstable folks in the Internet. If you received the volume of hate mail, death threats, unnatural claims about our ancestral heritage, etc you'd understand while many prefer to remain as anonymous as possible.

i agree, seriously i do, i run my own electrical contracting company, i work from home, the mods know my e-mail address, its my wifes, i would love to open up and use my own e-mail but feel that if i let all know what my companys name was and let everyone know my e-mail address then theres a possibility weirdos from all over the globe could start to sent me mail, thats why i use the wifes e-mail address and keep it between me and the mods, i understand their point, they have families who use the internet and their pcs as well, the world is a strange place, and no-ones safe from nusience e-mailers

rpeeples
07/09/2008, 01:43 PM
Yes, really good ones!!

He even has a special 2 part concoction which is sure to raise your hair

rpeeples
07/09/2008, 01:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912006#post12912006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
Believe it or not, there are some pretty unstable folks in the Internet. If you received the volume of hate mail, death threats, unnatural claims about our ancestral heritage, etc you'd understand why many prefer to remain as anonymous as possible.

Very true and to some point why a bio-page might make sense.

I am not saying you need to post your location, SSN, DL#, or a picture of your first born with their DNA lineage but rather something that gives us readers a chance to understand your backgrounds, what you do for a living, how long you been in the hobby, tanks you've owned, and some wisdom from keeping reef tanks over the years.

As you stated, there is a lot of good and bad info flying around these boards. Having more info on the folks publishing information allows us to discern the difference :)

Thanks again for the feedback! And the links to the TOTMs.

BlueCorn
07/09/2008, 01:56 PM
Sure, but you need to keep in mind my first post. We're not here to be the authority in reef keeping. We're here to keep the peace and make sure that folks play by the rules. The brain-trust is the collective community. ;)

rpeeples
07/09/2008, 02:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912183#post12912183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
Sure, but you need to keep in mind my first post. We're not here to be the authority in reef keeping. We're here to keep the peace and make sure that folks play by the rules. The brain-trust is the collective community. ;)

Yes, very good points. Well I think this gives me a better understanding and after reading my initial post I would definitely not recommend giving out phone numbers. Thanks again for taking time to respond on behalf of the mods.

ganjero
07/09/2008, 03:18 PM
Are you asking this because of the person banned recently and his claims about the mods being tied to some companies?
Because I see no reason why we would need a bio of each Mod, they hardly post any advice. Advice is mostly given by other experienced reefers.

Michael
07/09/2008, 03:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912838#post12912838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ganjero
Are you asking this because of the person banned recently and his claims about the mods being tied to some companies?

nice avatar fella, welcome to our club

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/09/2008, 05:07 PM
duplicate :(

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/09/2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, rpeeples. :)

:lol:

Nah, I invent them, but I leave the selling to others. :D

rpeeples
07/09/2008, 07:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912838#post12912838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ganjero
Because I see no reason why we would need a bio of each Mod, they hardly post any advice. Advice is mostly given by other experienced reefers.

Getting banned is not of my concern. Personally, I think it would take a lot for someone to get banned as I know this first hand. I have pushed the envelope a couple times however my thread start has nothing to due with anyone getting banned.