PDA

View Full Version : there is a ~4" drain pipe in the ceiling, how do I tap into it?

areze
07/10/2008, 09:32 AM
for starters, this is a DRAIN pipe, for a toilet, so ummm yeah, I dont know if that matters, but I dont want to end up with "stuff" flowing out.

Im going to try and tap into it at the very end of the pipe, after the toilet, which goes to a sink, hoping waste doesnt travel in that direction lol. all the same, it wont be pleasant in that pipe.

Im thinking some sort of saddle fitting, but I cant find one that wraps all the way around to hold onto the pipe, I found 1 that glues onto the pipe, but that doesnt give me 100% warm and fuzzies for some reason.

I could just drill a hole and throw a uniseal on there I guess, but that also doesnt seem very reliable considering whats at stake.

so do they make a 4" PVC pipe saddle, preferably with a 1" inlet?

areze
07/10/2008, 09:45 AM
http://www.plumbingstore.com/saddle.html

found those. not sure what 3/4" socket/1" spigot means though...

then there are the clampon ones, which do look solid, though expensive, and Id have to reduce the input since i dont need 2" but thats not a big deal. for 80cents though, maybe PVC glue and some SS worm drive straps can work.

x2uranium
07/10/2008, 10:49 AM
You will need to get a reducing bushing from 4" usually the saddles only go down to 1-1/2" so get a reducer from there, If your going to get a trap I recommend Perma-Seal traps. Otherwise get yourself a pipe tap, and a drill bit and tap the pipe. Dont forget if you go this way you want to use a check valve so poop doesnt flow back into your line if your septic line backs up.

areze
07/10/2008, 01:08 PM
good news is Im on a sewer line, though I probably will throw in a check valve for... who knows what. I generally dont like check valves since they arent reliable, but since in this case I guess why not. probably wont ever need it.

Recty
07/10/2008, 01:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12919705#post12919705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by areze
good news is Im on a sewer line, though I probably will throw in a check valve for... who knows what. I generally dont like check valves since they arent reliable, but since in this case I guess why not. probably wont ever need it. PROBABLY not, but that is a big probably considering if you did need it and didnt have it, you're likely to have a nice stinky mess.

areze
07/10/2008, 01:47 PM
heh, get a good skimmer?

after reading that post, I think I may have taken too much cold medicine...

but yeah, Im going to use a check valve. I have 1 laying around anyway.

oh yeah, more dayquil induced brain fart, whats this about a trap? I know they are for toilets and sinks, but I should use one here also?

reverendmaynard
07/10/2008, 02:14 PM
Traps help keep any smells from traveling up the drain from the main pipe, amongst other things. Much like a toilet, smells don't come back up because the bottom of the trap is always full of water.

areze
07/10/2008, 02:16 PM
sounds like a good idea then!