PDA

View Full Version : Sea lab No.28/ cal. up and alk. down

ludiNano
07/10/2008, 06:56 PM
To start im going on vacation. ( y mess up a good thing)

I started useing sea lab a week ago. I dose 1/2 tablet in a 10g. twice in a week. The tank established about a year now and have always used 2 part and leves stayed at
cal. 380-440 for the most part.
Alk 7-9
Ph solid 8.3

After a week of sea lab cal. 530 !!!!!
alk 5-6 !!!! ( like to think it was 6)
Ph 7.8!!!

I made a dose of the second part of my 2 Part... and very little seachem 8.3 Buffer.

Alk. 7
PH 8ish

Does Sea lab No. 28 dose a balanced ratio of calcium and alk. For me its not right now. ( to much flow????) So do I have to guess how much buffer to add. And should I dose a buffer while the calcium is being added by sea lab.

And help would be great.

Percula9
07/10/2008, 09:35 PM
Don't use those blocks, there is no way to know how much it's putting into your tank vs usage. It shot your calcium high which caused your alk to bottom out. Just dose with two part and don't use those blocks. I don't feel they are safe.

bertoni
07/10/2008, 10:55 PM
I would look into a 2-part like B-Ionic or a similar product. I agree that the Sea Lab blocks are uncontrolled dosing.

ludiNano
07/11/2008, 05:51 AM
its just that im going on vacation. Two part is what i said is normaly used. But i really don't think my mom would like to stop by every night a couple hours after lights out to dose my tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/11/2008, 06:42 AM
How long are you going away for?

ludiNano
07/11/2008, 06:39 PM
A week. My calcium load is high, i have a 4'' squami, monti digita, digita frags, monti plate, sort tentical plate, candy coral.

i dose my 2 part every night.

Percula9
07/11/2008, 08:12 PM
Hire a professional aquarium maintenance service to look after the tank while your gone.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/12/2008, 06:17 AM
I don't think I try to guess how much sea lab stuff will be needed to dissolve over that period to try to meet the demand.

You can boost calcium up so none is needed (say, 550 ppm), and them boost alkalinity up pretty high (say 12 dKH) and hope for the best, or you can automate alkalinity delivery with a dosing pump, or you could use limewater on a doser while away (that's what I do even for 2-3 weeks where I leave my tank totally unattended).

ludiNano
07/31/2008, 09:54 PM
yea, I will put my final thoughts to sea lab 28.

Don't use it, i tried it for a week befor vacation, and it shot my

calcium up to 500+

and droped my Alk to 5-6 Dkh.

If your going on vacation have someone dose 2 part it not to hard

just 2 parts.... And part 1 then equal parts of part 2, even if its every other day better than nothing, and way beter then Sea Lab