PDA

View Full Version : Reef Dart Usage

Mike Murphy
07/10/2008, 08:10 PM
I picked up a Reef Dart a few months ago as I was designing my system on my 125. I was lead to believe that this would be adequate to run my Beckett type injection skimmer by the sales person but now the party I bought the skimmer from says the darst are good at volume but not much on pressure. Anyone care to comment on this type of setup?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

das75
07/10/2008, 08:53 PM
They are a high flow pump but they still put out some pressure, check the curves. There are better pumps for pressure but don't give up on the Dart as makes a good CL pump on your 125.

Mike Murphy
07/12/2008, 08:03 AM
Pump is rated at 3600 GPH at (0) head so I figure about 3,000GPH with a 3.5' uphill climb. No elbows or abrupt changes in the return line just sweeping curves back to the display and skimmer except a "Y" where the feed for the display and skimmer part company.

My fresh water wet test puts water in the skimmer at the base of the chamber. As we all know fresh water does not bubble and froth like sea water but I feel pretty good that this will work pretty well once it is fully complied with in that department.

davocean
07/12/2008, 09:41 AM
The Orca skimmer is basically running on a dart.
When my dart seized, a fellow reefer loaned me his orca pump, and when I talked to rep at reeflo he said using it on my CL was not a good idea, it was built to push skimmer.
I would contact reeflo for what mods were made to pump to deal w/ that kind of pressure.