PDA

View Full Version : Trying to plan a vacation

emm0909
07/11/2008, 10:33 AM
My girlfriend and I are trying to plan a vacation. I want to dive somewhere for a day but don't have certifications. I really want to find a place where they will give you a nice lesson on diving then take you out in the water. I know they exist. My main desires are to see some type of sharks, even just reef sharks - she a shark nut, and I would really like to see a nice reef. I want to see LPS. Anyone have any suggestions? I can't be going out to Australia or Africa.

snorvich
07/11/2008, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately your objectives are inconsistent. There are many places that will provide a "resort course" (e.g. Jamaica, Grand Cayman, etc) but you will not be going out and diving with sharks. But you could do a "referral" where you get certified and then can dive where you do your open water requirements. But even then, you are NOT going to see sharks. Sorry.

emm0909
07/11/2008, 11:14 AM
Hmm, alright then. Maybe we'll focus on certifications instead of a vacation. I would like to get out there in the water and do some things I really want to. The certification will have to happen at some point for sure. I didn't know if we'd be able to see anything interesting before hand.

sunfishh
07/11/2008, 12:33 PM
I would go to Oahu. I went last spring and did a scuba experience dive. I am certified, but it has been many years. We did a quick pool lesson in the morning at the Waikiki Marriot and then did two boat dives in the afternoon. The next day with a different company I drove to the north shore and did a shark cage snorkel. It was awesome.

roblack
07/11/2008, 08:44 PM
I agree with Snorvich. Recommend you get your OW certification and then plan your dive trips to suit your preferences. You might see sharks on your check out dives depending on where you go and if you get lucky. Good luck!

billsreef
07/11/2008, 08:55 PM
I'll 3rd the recommendation to get properly certified. You'll see much more in the long run than the simple resort course ;)

icy1155
07/12/2008, 07:32 AM
If you dont mind snorkeling try shark-ray-alley in Ambergris Caye Belize. Last time we went I saw 3-4 nurse sharks and a reef shark. At least there you almost always see them.

snorvich
07/13/2008, 11:29 AM
Well if you are considering certification, I would recommend doing a referral. This is taking all class and pool work where you are as well as the test. Then doing the open water dives at a location of your choosing. May be slightly more expensive, but it optimizes time in a nice location and minimizes busy time there.

Oldude
07/31/2008, 02:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12938555#post12938555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Well if you are considering certification, I would recommend doing a referral. This is taking all class and pool work where you are as well as the test. Then doing the open water dives at a location of your choosing. May be slightly more expensive, but it optimizes time in a nice location and minimizes busy time there. I agree with this and then take your open water in Belize and you may even see a shark.

snorvich
08/01/2008, 06:41 AM
Yes, Belize would be a good choice for that. Lots of options there including, I think live aboards.