PDA

View Full Version : how is a rainford goby as a sand sifter and as a jumper?

agoutihead
07/12/2008, 05:14 PM
i seen one of these today at my lfs, and its a quite stunning fish. And even though it doesnt tke large mouthfuls of sand, it still seemed to sift a large area and I'm sure would do the entire tank throughout the day.

Does anyone have any experience with them as really good sand sifters though?

I'm not looking for an absolute machine like a diamond goby, and I need to keep the fish on the smaller side anyways.

But how is this fish as a jumper? Are they known to do that often like a diamond goby?

agoutihead
07/12/2008, 06:19 PM
I also seen that the two spot goby sifts sand and is not mentioned that it is a jumper.

The website does on the other hand mention that the orange spotted shrimp goby is a jumper.

They seem to call it where it is

So apparently the two I am speaking of do not jump.

But which one of the two will be a better sand sifter?

salty joe
07/12/2008, 08:15 PM
I had a couple Rainfords awhile ago until a seam burst on my tank. Very cool little fish. I don't know that I would consider it a sand sifter-they are so little with a little mouth. But from watching them, I believe they need a well established, fine sandbed and well established live rock to thrive. Not once did I see one eat any food offered to the tank. They stayed fat and handsome from picking. My tank was covered, but I never saw them get squirrelly or anything. But I had nothing to give them grief and there were loads of hiding spots. HTH

Dyepes
07/12/2008, 08:22 PM
I have had mine raindfords goby for, ohh about 10 months comign on a year. He has never jumped out of the tank. As stated above, I do not typically see mine consume any forzen or prepeared foods. Occasionally when I feed my tank spirulina enriched flakes I see him snag a few flakes. I would not consider it a primary diet though, probably he was just bored.

downhillbiker
07/12/2008, 08:42 PM
mine stay low in the tank and dont jump. mine also doesn't eat prepared food. i agree that they need fine sand. mine sifts sand all day every day. very happy fish.

Paul_PSU
07/12/2008, 08:57 PM
I have had one for about 2 months. Like others have said, it just sifts sand and picks at algae on the rocks. He mostly stays on the bottom, but will work his way up and down, in and out of the rock work also. Never had a problem with jumping. I think if you have enough rock work then jumping wouldn't be a problem.