PDA

View Full Version : Is my green star polyps dying?

egotrip
07/12/2008, 11:21 PM
Just added some GSP to my tank 2 days ago. After a few hours some of the polyps began coming out. But the next day all of them were gone and have not come out again. Today there are still nop polyps showing and the purple mat seems to be flaking away. Kind of looks like pieces of skin shedding.

Is this a sign that my GSP is dying or is it normal for it to be flaking.

reefworm
07/12/2008, 11:33 PM
Tell us more about your tank:
lighting
water perameters [all of them]
kind and amount of feeding
skimming or not

egotrip
07/13/2008, 12:16 AM
130w coralife delux lighting

Amm 0
Kh 12
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
calcium 420
salintiy 1.25
temp 80

Light feeding of fish flakes and blood worms

I am am Running a 65 Gallon Coralife superskimmer

tmz
07/13/2008, 01:00 AM
Could something be nipping them or stinging them?. GSP is usually very hardy and your parameters look good. Closed for 2 days and flaking doesn't sound right. I've never seen mine do that.

d-maz
07/13/2008, 06:21 AM
It took my star polyp 4 weeks to open up. I thought it was dead after I put it in my tank. Some of the purple "skin" was flaking off the rock and waving in the current. Then, little by little, it started opening up. I`d say, give it some time. It`ll probably come back.

joeychitwood
07/13/2008, 06:52 AM
The lighting might be a little weak. How far down in the tank is the mat of polyps? Under what kind of lighting was the mat before you bought it?

woodycb
07/13/2008, 07:03 AM
they like a lot of flow also.

qfrisco
07/13/2008, 07:08 AM
I have two kinds of star polyps and every couple weeks or so, they will retract and stay that way for 2-3 days. They've always come back nice and lush. I bet they're fine.

egotrip
07/13/2008, 11:33 AM
d maz Yeah thats exactly whats happening the purple skin is flaking off and waving with the current. So hopefully mine will recover as did yours.

joeychitwood I have th GSP in the middle of the tank and have a powerhead pointed towards it's direction but not right on top of it. Some im thining that should be sufficient flow for it.

I also have some zoanthids which I added at the same time and they seem to be adapting quite well and opening up within like ten mins of lights on.