PDA

View Full Version : How to catch my Lunar!!!!!

robrich342
07/13/2008, 05:19 AM
I have a 8inch long Lunar in my 120gal reef tank and I need to take him out. Any suggestions on how to catch him?

Zaita
07/13/2008, 01:42 PM
I had one in my 125g reef. Had to remove every rock (200lbs) before I could catch him. This was @ 6am when it should've been sleeping

yellowslayer13
07/13/2008, 04:04 PM
if you do not care if he is injured use a trout hook fishing line

wrasseguy
07/13/2008, 04:16 PM
A clear acrylic fish trap works well.....but you might catch every fish in your tank first.

Recty
07/13/2008, 05:34 PM
I just cut and paste my reply from another thread...

"I'm a big fan of the barbless hook method. There have been times there was NO WAY I was going to break down my entire reef to get a fish out. Just get some fly fishing line and the smallest barbless hook you can find. I got mine at a Sportsman's Warehouse, basically like a Walmart for sporting goods.

Anyway, what I do is dip the small hook into a piece of whatever your favorite food type mix is and then put it into the freezer for like 30 seconds. The small dab of food will instantly harden and it can be relied on to stay on the hook for 10-15 seconds before melting off once in the aquarium water. Or if your damsels are used to eating mysis shrimp or small pieces of meat, just spear that onto the hook.

The challenge is not catching fish in the tank that you dont want to :P Give it time, you'll be able to do it. I've found it helps to feed the tank a little bit so all the fish think they are getting food, but dont feed so much they arent hungry. Then you basically watch the offending fish and when you're exactly overhead of it, quickly drop the line into the water. You'll almost immediately have a fish on.

Before I get hammered for inhumane treatment... this is the PREFERRED method for catching fish in the wild and most likely any fish that wasnt netted or cyanided (talk about inhumane) was hooked. I'm sure it isnt great fun for the fish, but a small hook shouldnt cause any problems."

sean48183
07/13/2008, 07:45 PM
Why are you pulling him out?

AquaKnight
07/13/2008, 10:32 PM
I think an 8" Lunare in a 120, is enough of an explanation lol...

Ophidia
07/14/2008, 10:25 AM
I used the hook and line method to catch a miniatus grouper I had in my 125 (turned brutal, was very hard on the other fish). Since he was such a glutton I dipped the hook in and about 2 seconds later was pulling him out. This was with a debarbed size 12 hook, a small split shot for a weight, and a little silverside. As far as I know the fish is still alive at it's new home.