PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Ballasts (PFO) vs. Electronic Ballasts (Icecap)

Reeferon
07/13/2008, 07:29 AM
So what are the advantages and disadvantages to magnetic ballasts (PFO type) and electronic ballasts (icecap type)???

(Ive decided on doing 3 175watt Halides housed in lumenbright reflectors on my new 125.)

Reeferon
07/13/2008, 07:37 AM
I know that the electronic ballasts run cooler, use up less electricity, and they give bulbs a bluer appearance.

and that magnetic ballasts run warmer, put out more PAR and they also make reduce the bulbs life. and that they burn whiter.

Are there any other notable differences??...

buck50bmg
07/13/2008, 08:08 AM
The only difference is that the Magnetic (HQI) run at a higher output voltage, thus brighter and less life.

fishdoc11
07/13/2008, 08:11 AM
It really depends on what bulbs you want to use. Some run better on magnetic (typically the 10K bulbs) and some run better on electronic ballasts (typically the 14 and 20K type). I would suggest looking at Sanjay's data on the advanced aquarist website and comparing 175 watt bulbs.
hth, Chris

Edit: There is also a difference between magnetic and HQI.

ReefWreak
07/13/2008, 08:30 AM
HQI is a type of magnetic, it's just a pulse start higher voltage ballast (I believe).

The thing with a HQI, specifically the PFO is that you'll get much better lighting out of it, but at the cost of reduced life of the bulb, to about 6 months depending on the bulb. I wanted PFO HQI with Radiums, but the usable life is 6 months or less.

I've got 2 e-ballasts, the icecap and coralvue. If I were to get new ones, I would get icecap for efficiency and lower voltage, or the Sunlight Supply Galaxy ballasts for higher output and higher voltage. Also depends on the bulbs you go with. I've heard that the Reeflux bulbs are designed to be run on coralvue e-ballasts, and get their best life and power from running them on coralvue ballasts.

smiller
07/13/2008, 11:00 AM
[moved]

fishdoc11
07/13/2008, 01:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12937620#post12937620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak

The thing with a HQI, specifically the PFO is that you'll get much better lighting out of it, but at the cost of reduced life of the bulb,

Better is a general term:) You will typically get higher PAR with a HQI ballast but that doesn't always equate to better. It really depends on what one is looking for and how each individual type of bulb is lit by each type of ballast.

Chris