PDA

View Full Version : Metalic Hammer Eats Fish??

Magga Pie
07/13/2008, 09:08 AM
Can a metalic hammer sting and eat a little chromis? The reason I ask is because this morning my hammer was open and it is never open unless the lights are on. Then I noticed one of my chromis swimming around all lopsided. I come back in and the hammer is closed up and it has a bulge inside of it and its about the same size of my fish.....Is this possible?

Sk8r
07/13/2008, 10:49 AM
I think you aren't getting answers because we aren't visualizing this. Hammer coral's mouths are too tiny to eat a fish, and hammer doesn't close up often in a bell shape. Usually it just pulls into its bony skeleton.
If the fish has died, it might have fallen into a coral. But can you give us a little better description of the coral. I've never seen a "metallic hammer", only green/pink. Can you get us a pic of this coral. Photobucket pix will post easily on Rc using the "Edit Post" then IMG button. Write your text, then insert picture on "edit".

sassafrass
07/13/2008, 10:49 AM
It is highly unlikely that your hammer stung your fish ,it is possible that it consumed it if the almost dead chromis floated into it.

Magga Pie
07/13/2008, 10:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12938303#post12938303 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
I think you aren't getting answers because we aren't visualizing this. Hammer coral's mouths are too tiny to eat a fish, and hammer doesn't close up often in a bell shape. Usually it just pulls into its bony skeleton.
If the fish has died, it might have fallen into a coral. But can you give us a little better description of the coral. I've never seen a "metallic hammer", only green/pink. Can you get us a pic of this coral. Photobucket pix will post easily on Rc using the "Edit Post" then IMG button. Write your text, then insert picture on "edit".

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/TWK_2007/FishTank009.jpg

Thats the coral its bigger than the picture. It has 7 heads and it opens up pretty big.

snorvich
07/13/2008, 11:13 AM
Nice picture. But that coral will not eat a fish. It may close because the percula clowns harrass it.

Sk8r
07/13/2008, 11:25 AM
Agree with Snovich: your poor chromis could have been the victim of a fish fight, or just unexplained death: if you have more than one chromis, the other chromis is the most likely culprit. That hammer (I'd call it Green) will eat stuff but it has to be about the size of a flea to do it.

It's a very happy coral, however. Good work!

Magga Pie
07/13/2008, 11:40 AM
Ok thanks for the help