PDA

View Full Version : Feeding of corals

mrpenguin
07/13/2008, 11:45 AM
How often do you feed your corals and what do you feed them. Do you do direct feeding or just put the food in the water flow ?

Currently I direct feed my corals every night with either Cyclop - eeze, Coral frenzy or DT's

Can you over feed corals ? and if so what would happen ?

ReefWreak
07/13/2008, 12:21 PM
I don't really feed my corals. On some nights I'll get out the cyclopeeze, turn off the return pumps, let the tank drain to the overflow, and then let the cyclopeeze float around the tank for about 15-20 minutes or so.

In the Vodka thread, I was reading the original German hobbiest/scientist who is the main purpotrator of the thread, he said that there is no way that cyclopeeze can be eaten by SPS, but I've seen them grab them with their polyps at night. Many Acros to be specific. I don't know if it helps or not.

I wouldn't try to feed the corals much either. They eat whatever floats around normally in the tank. Dissolved nutrients, fish poop, fish food, etc.

I don't think you can overfeed corals, but you can definitely pollute your tank trying to feed them more than they actually accept.

photobret
07/13/2008, 12:23 PM
I think you are overfeeding your tank and causing high phosphates, nitrates and the like, this would have an adverse affect on your corals. I personally dont go out of my way to feed my SPS but I do dose AA's 3x a week, reefbooster coral food once a week, Zeo Coral Vitalizer and Sponge Power every night after lights out. I have a moderate fish load and they help feed the corals too.