PDA

View Full Version : Copper Band

Mark0818
07/13/2008, 03:15 PM
I noticed one at my LFS, I have heard they don’t have a very good success rate living in a fish tank with out Aiaptisa. The guy said that it at Myris but when I ask to see him feed it, didn’t respond to the food.

What are your experiences with them?

obzezzed350
07/13/2008, 03:22 PM
I was thinking of picking one up a few months back but the two I saw didnt eat well, which affirmed what I had researched that they can be hard to feed. I went with a yellow longnose instead and its been successful.

JRaquatics
07/13/2008, 06:51 PM
Good luck. Had one. been there done that. I consider them Rent-a-fish.

alex656
07/13/2008, 07:28 PM
I have had mine for some time, he didnt eat at first but he did start nibbleing on mysis. I then thought since they naturally live on worms let's get him some. I started feeding him live black worms and he goes crazy. Eats em quick as I can put them in. I had kept one alive before for a ehilebon mysis and brine, but itvlike most died for no apparent reason. I feel live black worms are the key.

Zaita
07/13/2008, 07:54 PM
First thing you should know is that a CBB might be a coral muncher. They are a butterfly fish, so you should buy it expecting it to munch your corals (as opposed to buying it hoping it won't).

It's really a hit or miss if they will eat aipstasia, or any prepared foods. Very difficult fish to keep without a large reef that can sustain enough natural pray (feather dusters etc) for them to live on.

I have had mine for 3months now. It will eat bloodworms and enriched brine. Used to eat mysis but isn't so keep on it anymore. Has eaten every feather duster I can see :P

JamesJR
07/13/2008, 08:02 PM
I had one for over three years and worked in the fish trade for over five years and have seen my share of them. Copper band butterflyfish are tough to keep long term. Their difficulty is very under-rated. Not many people on here will have kept one for over a year. I traded mine out for a friend who had a bigger tank but then it didn't live too much longer after that.

snorvich
07/13/2008, 08:12 PM
I agree with both of the above two postings. And there is no guarantee that they will even eat aiptasia.

Mark0818
07/14/2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies.....confirmed what I was thinking....I will not be getting one.

BrianD
07/14/2008, 08:32 PM
I purchased an Australian copperband after reading that they are somewhat hardier. This was the case for me. It was in my tank for a couple of years (and cleaned out the aiptasia). I gave it away when I redid my landscaping. That was a dumb move, becaause once the copperband was gone, the aiptasia came back :) I added a Muellerri, and although it didn't touch the aiptasia for the first few months, after that it cleaned up every hint of aiptasia in my tank.

Oh, and the Muellerri has never (to my knowledge) eaten any prepared foods in the 2 years it has been in my tank. It feeds off the live rock and whatever goodies it finds in my tank.

Zaita
07/15/2008, 01:53 AM
550g is a bit bigger reef than a 75g :)

shelburn61
07/15/2008, 08:39 AM
I have also heard the Australians are hardier. Bloodworms tucked into rock crevices is a recommended initial feeding technique. I'd like to hear more about their longterm viability as well...

BrianD
07/15/2008, 09:13 AM
I believe you have enough on your plate right now ;)

shelburn61
07/15/2008, 01:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12951289#post12951289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
I believe you have enough on your plate right now ;)

An upgrade is always down the road...

BrianD
07/15/2008, 01:15 PM
LOL, we can always dream ;)

Mike Murphy
07/15/2008, 09:13 PM
I think the initial secret is getting them aclimated to your tank without being bullied and supplying aiptasia after that ween them over to frozen foods. My 27 hex was loaded with aiptasia and the Copperband cleaned them out in about 2 weeks. Then I moved it to my 55 which was also loaded with aiptasia and caulerpa.

Maybe I'm lucky but I have had it almost a year and he eats like a pig. Also have a pair of Manderine Gobies too and they all eat frozen Mysis, brine and bloodworms.