PDA

View Full Version : kent phytoplex

crazywesc
07/13/2008, 06:48 PM
I was told at the lfs to use kent phytoplex every other day to feed my sps and any filter feeders in the tank. I just wanted to ask here before I start using it. Will this be good to feed sps? Or should I look into something different?

IslandCrow
07/13/2008, 08:01 PM
Phytoplankton doesn't have any direct benefit for SPS. All evidence shows that stony corals do not consume phytoplankton. Many filter feeders will consume phytoplankton, but Phytoplex is still not the best option for those. Formulas using spray dried phytoplankton tend to clump, making the particulate size much too big for the filter feeders that would normally benefit from it. If you have any fish in your tank, your filter feeders are probably getting more than enough bacteriaplankton. That's not to say that your tank can't benefit from the addition of phytoplankton, but I'd recommend only using live phytoplankton.

crazywesc
07/13/2008, 08:31 PM
What product would you recomend for feeding SPS? Or is there really a need to add anything if your water param. is in check?

jpitts101
07/13/2008, 09:27 PM
Rotifers are good for sps. Dont stop feeding phyto but try to get a life brand like DT's or phytofeast. Its good for your aquarium as a whole. Rots also eat phyto.

CichlidaeNReefs
07/13/2008, 10:21 PM
I have been told that Kent Marines additives create hair algae...I dont know how true this is because I used it for sometime and never noticed it but if I used toomuch of it then I noticed I did get a heck of a hair algae bloom because of it.....just what I have heard and what I have experianced in the past....maybe it was a bad bottle of phyto...I dont think nothing is as good as your own cultured phyto or some that you keep in the fridge..... florida aqua farms sells cultures to start your own phyto...check it out

jpitts101
07/13/2008, 10:26 PM
There are alot of phospates in kents. I agree with cichlidaenreefs about cultureing your own. i've been doing it for 2 years now with great sucess. Easy to do and your tank will love you for it.

CichlidaeNReefs
07/13/2008, 10:30 PM
I would culture my own but since I run a Ecosystems Aquarium Refuge with 30lbs of miracle mud...they claim I dont need to add any to the tank...we will see how it works

jpitts101
07/13/2008, 10:33 PM
there right you dont need to add any but it benifits your tank if you do. you will see a explosion of pods and your corals will love you for it too! just my 2 cents.

CichlidaeNReefs
07/13/2008, 10:37 PM
I have seen an explosion of pods already...the tank has been up and running now for ummmm a couple months tops and I have many corals and inverts in it and just one fish...a hippo tang and he/she loves them

The tank is doing awesome and the coralline is going nuts as well....this mud actually has real gold in it and when I replace the mud when it suggests...I am gonna pan it and take the gold out and save it.... there is alot of it in the 30lbs thats in there...not sure how much gold flakes there is but enough to say there is gold in it...you can see the sparkles from just looking at it from a distance when the doors are open

This stuff is 70.00 per 10lbs

IslandCrow
07/14/2008, 12:05 PM
Kent's does not "create" hair algae. The decaying micro algae may release nitrates and phosphates back into the water to fuel hair algae, though. Anything dead that's not consumed is potentially a problem, and that's where the problem lies with products like Phytoplex. There are probably some filter feeders that will accept it as food, but the particle size alone has been found to be too large for many filter feeders, so if you do decide to use it, use it very sparingly. Personally, I would rather use nothing at all. Rotifers are probably ideal for SPS, as well as things like oyster eggs, though I can't recall the exact micron range you're shooting for.

CichlidaeNReefs, you may want to ask in the Chemistry forum whether or not you really want gold in your aquarium. I truly doubt it has any benefit, and could possibly be detrimental as well (I know silver is pretty bad). I've heard a lot of good things about miracle mud, but I've also heard some of the chemists on this site express concern over some of the heavy metals contained in it.

CichlidaeNReefs
07/14/2008, 12:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12945106#post12945106 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IslandCrow

CichlidaeNReefs, you may want to ask in the Chemistry forum whether or not you really want gold in your aquarium. I truly doubt it has any benefit, and could possibly be detrimental as well (I know silver is pretty bad). I've heard a lot of good things about miracle mud, but I've also heard some of the chemists on this site express concern over some of the heavy metals contained in it.

I can agree that it does contain alot of gold at least.

Very visible to the eye

as for the phytoplex, I cannot say that it will always create hair algae but have experianced it in the past using it. I have stopped using it and just let it all be natural