PDA

View Full Version : Sump question

redvicki
07/13/2008, 08:51 PM
Do I need to fill the sump up with water before I turn the pump on or do I just let the water siphon out of the tank then top the tank off?
also how do I get the drain pipe to start flowing water? Do I just fill the tank so full it starts going into the over flow?
Thanks

shaginwagon13
07/13/2008, 09:11 PM
Fill your tank up to right below the overflows and then fill up your sump till the water it about 3-4 inches from overflowing. Turn your pump on and the water level will rise ad naturally the water will start to come down into the sump from the overflows.

drparker
07/13/2008, 09:31 PM
Here's a safety tip on how to mark the highest level that is safe to have water in your sump.

After it's running shut the pump down and let the overflow drain in the sump.

After they are done draining fill the sump with water to just under the lip. Next turn the pumps on and let the system equalize. Once it's running for a for a few minutes mark the water level in the sump with tape or Sharpie.

This is the line you can never let the sump get higher than or you'll have a flood when the pumps shut off.

Now drain some water off so your back to your normal running level which should be somewhat lower than the max line.

Aquarist007
07/13/2008, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12941894#post12941894 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drparker
Here's a safety tip on how to mark the highest level that is safe to have water in your sump.

After it's running shut the pump down and let the overflow drain in the sump.

After they are done draining fill the sump with water to just under the lip. Next turn the pumps on and let the system equalize. Once it's running for a for a few minutes mark the water level in the sump with tape or Sharpie.

This is the line you can never let the sump get higher than or you'll have a flood when the pumps shut off.

Now drain some water off so your back to your normal running level which should be somewhat lower than the max line.

If your systems is draining too high in the sump or overflows when you turn the pump off ---- on the underside of the return line or lines drill a 1/8 inch hole very high up on the underside,
The water level will drain to this point and the air hole will break the siphon at that point