PDA

View Full Version : 6 months in, Aptasia showed up

FBNitro
07/13/2008, 09:50 PM
I just noticed it yesterday, down in a hole in a rock. Should I be worried that it's spread around inside the rock?

I'm trying to figure out how to nuke it (location may make this difficult). I know to use Joe's Juice/Lemon Juice/Hot Water. You guys say 'inject' do you use a needle to do that, or just a needless syringe (like from a test kit) and get the general area?

Would I be best to remove the rock to do this (it's up top, so it's possible)?

Aquarist007
07/13/2008, 09:53 PM
the best way fbnitro is to remove the rock and then treat it outside of the tank.
If the rock couldn't be taken out of the tank then I would seal the hole off with some reefscape putty

firemancorbin
07/13/2008, 09:53 PM
Do ya have any peppermint shrimp they will eat it!

FBNitro
07/13/2008, 09:58 PM
Nope, no peppermint, and frankly no room for it with my current stocking (10 gallon tank).

If I pull the rock it's going to suck itself in, how do I get it then (is that where a needle would come in?)

CichlidaeNReefs
07/13/2008, 10:56 PM
go get yourself some Joe's Juice...that stuff does wonders for aiptasia

nativecracker32
07/13/2008, 11:09 PM
you can make a kalk past two parts kalk one part water, boil and stir. then slowly inject it in front of them they should eat it up. mine did and died shortly after. good luck!

firemancorbin
07/14/2008, 12:30 AM
http://www.northcoastmarines.com/aptasia.htm

ahullsb
07/14/2008, 01:23 AM
If it's only a 10 gallon and there is nothing attached to the rock, maybe just trade it back in? If you can kill it you may be fine but I've seen it quickly get out of control as well.

MinnFish
07/14/2008, 05:45 AM
No need to boil the kalk paste. Just mix and serve (stay away from any corals). Happy hunting.

Sceadu
07/14/2008, 05:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12942388#post12942388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CichlidaeNReefs
go get yourself some Joe's Juice...that stuff does wonders for aiptasia

+1 on the Joes Juice...Great Stuff!!

MalHavoc
07/14/2008, 06:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12943109#post12943109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sceadu
+1 on the Joes Juice...Great Stuff!!

Joes Juice is just kalkwasser. Save your money and mix it up yourself.

If there is only one aiptasia, and it's in a hole in the rock, you could always just take some reef epoxy and putty over the hole, sealing him in there.

Rendos
07/14/2008, 07:41 AM
Blue Vet Aiptasia Control. Way better than Joe's Juice.
http://www.championlighting.com/pics/additivepics/bluelife/aiptasia_control.jpg

Aquarist007
07/14/2008, 08:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12943124#post12943124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MalHavoc
Joes Juice is just kalkwasser. Save your money and mix it up yourself.

If there is only one aiptasia, and it's in a hole in the rock, you could always just take some reef epoxy and putty over the hole, sealing him in there.

I agree and I believe I already suggested it above--go for the quick least evasive cure when you can for a reef problem
Seal the hole over with putty--quick and easy--problem solved:D

FBNitro
07/20/2008, 09:09 PM
Okay I've got the rock out of the tank, it's in a bucket with a power head for the moment. The hole the Aptasia is in has 4 visible exits (I've seen it stick it's tentacles through 2 of them), and a hole that goes into the rock... I don't think blocking the ports is going to be enough.

One of the guys at work gave me a bottle of Joe's Juice to try (he had it in the office for his tank).

I moved the rock into the bucket (1 hr ago while doing my water change) and it's been in hiding since. How long can I leave the rock in the bucket unheated without doing damage to bacteria etc?

FBNitro
07/20/2008, 11:34 PM
Well I'm just going to put the rock back in I guess, I don't want to kill off all the bugs/brittle stars etc on this rock if leaving it in there overnight without a heater would do that. I'll mix up some new water tomorrow that'll be deep enough for me to run a heater in.

STREAMLINEGFX
07/21/2008, 12:00 AM
Apatasia-X by Red Sea works amazing. Do a search on YouTube and you can find videos of apatasia getting blasted by it, and its reef safe.

CA2OR
07/21/2008, 12:35 AM
Sorry about your issue but it could be worse. When I was first starting out I actually bought this rock. You wouldn't believe the issues this caused in my tank. Goes to show you....don't believe everything you hear in a fish store. This rock was recommended to me to "help filter my water"http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/196178Proof_of_a_Newb.jpg I have more pictures if you wanna see how it spread in a matter of 1 week. Cuased serious damage to my star polyps and killed one of my pulsating zenia's.

CA2OR
07/21/2008, 12:37 AM
In my experience the aptasia control works the best. I have heard that there is a shrimp out there that eats aptasias called a peppermint shrimp but who knows if that is true

CA2OR
07/21/2008, 12:40 AM
The aptasia control comes with its own seringe as shown by Rendos, I lure my aptasias out a little with some food when I am feeding my anemone's. Just take a little piece of krill or squid and put it just out of thier reach, they will stretch for it a little and then you hit em with the juice. I have even gone as far as letting the aptasia's feelers grap the food then hit em by inserting the tip of the seringe around the feelers and firing for the mouth.

dflowers
07/21/2008, 09:49 PM
I had a bad growth of aiptasia. i went a got a kliens butterfly and he has eaten 95% of it and he seems to be a cool fish as well.