PDA

View Full Version : Rack system for Basement

Fishcrazy06
07/13/2008, 10:04 PM
I am in the process of getting ready to build a rack system in my basement. It will consist of 2x4's and angle iron where I am going to place the tanks. My question is I am going to take the angle iron and bolt that to the floor then bolt the 2x4 to the iron. This system is going to house a 75 gallon sump which will be on the bottom. A 50 gallon breeder in the middle. And a 40 gallon breeder on top which will be the fuge. My question I have is will it be okay if I lag scre the angle iron into the floor joists and then bolt the 2x4's to the angle iron or no? Does this make any sense?

Eric

Fishcrazy06
07/14/2008, 08:57 AM
No one has any suggestions? Either it sounds ridiculous or it doesnt make sense. Any input would be great.

Eric

coralnut99
07/14/2008, 09:04 AM
In my opinion, that's way too much weight to put on the screws holding the 2X4's to the angle iron. The 2X4's need support beneath them at the corners, and I wouldn't go much more than 3 feet between supports. A picture or sketch would help too.

Esquare
07/14/2008, 09:22 AM
I was waiting for a pic or sketch as I can't see it in my head (it's pretty much empty up there). I used galvanized metal lumber racks for my basement sump. There are pics in my gallery.

Fishcrazy06
07/14/2008, 10:11 AM
I will have to get a picture of some sort drawn. The only place I was going to use screws was on the angle into the floor joists. The rest of the angle iron was going to be bolted through the angle iron. It may just be overkill. Its just I had the angle iron available and thought why not use it.

Eric

Esquare
07/14/2008, 10:20 AM
Hey, if you're going to kill, why not overkill as I always say. :D

Fishcrazy06
07/14/2008, 10:44 AM
The only thing I was worried about was lagging into the floor joists. I figure it will be okay because all the weight will be transmitted down through the 2x4's and into the floor. I just want to be sure before I go ahead and do it.

Eric

Esquare
07/14/2008, 10:50 AM
The lagging to the floor joists is what I can't picture in my head. Do you mean to the floor joists overhead (as it's a basement) or do you mean floor joists in the floor of your basement?

coralnut99
07/14/2008, 11:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12944536#post12944536 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ebrabender
The only thing I was worried about was lagging into the floor joists. I figure it will be okay because all the weight will be transmitted down through the 2x4's and into the floor. I just want to be sure before I go ahead and do it.

Eric

I don't think attaching anything to the floor joist above, will have anything to do with what you're planning other than to keep the rack itself from swayying to any degree. It does make them almost permanent though. I just can't picture what will actually bear the horizontal load of the tanks. I have this pictured as four pieces of angle iron purchased at home Depot that are attached to the floor joists above for structural rigidity, and horizontal 2X4's supports attached by screws through the angle iron into the ends of the 2X4's. Close?

Esquare
07/14/2008, 11:14 AM
I have a little stick figure guy beating himself on the head with angle iron pictured in my head. :D

Fishcrazy06
07/14/2008, 01:11 PM
Yup your very close. Almost right on. There will be 2x4's running vertically and 2x4's running horizontal which the tanks will actually rest on. The other angle iron basically just replaces some 2x4's. In stead of running the 2x4's from front to back the angle iron will be in its place. Does this make any sense? Sorry I am at work and not able to get to a drawing program.

Eric

coralnut99
07/14/2008, 02:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12945531#post12945531 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ebrabender
Yup your very close. Almost right on. There will be 2x4's running vertically and 2x4's running horizontal which the tanks will actually rest on. The other angle iron basically just replaces some 2x4's. In stead of running the 2x4's from front to back the angle iron will be in its place. Does this make any sense? Sorry I am at work and not able to get to a drawing program.

Eric

I guess I'll wait until you get home and post the stick figure beating himself over the head with angle iron, lol.

gkyle
07/15/2008, 03:35 AM
If suspending the rack from the joists above, I'd use lag screws at least 1/4-3/8" and 3-4" long with large washers to attach the angle iron. I can't visualize why you're using that versus just lag screwing the lumber to the joists, but in either case you need something stronger than regular screws. For the attachment of the lumber to the angle iron I'd also use 1/4-3/8" bolts with large washers on each side (if open above?) and I'd use the self-locking nuts.

I've done something similar, but I chose to build it up from the floor, which is cement in my case. I used a heavy coat of Liquid Nails under a 2x4 and glued it right to the floor and put a weight on it and allowed to dry for 24 hrs. Tested it's strength with a 1.5 lb hammer and couldn't budge it. All of my shelves that hold equipment on the basement walls are also suspended by 2x4 which was glued to the cinder block wall, very strong if you allow it to dry a full day and use plenty of glue.