PDA

View Full Version : In sump eggcrate macro algae containment

ScottC
07/14/2008, 11:22 AM
I have a slight problem with algae growing in the overflows of my tank. It tends to clog up the teeth of the overflows and grows all over the insides of them.

I plan on covering up the overflows to block the light, but I want to divert the nutrient export to another location.

I have a 300g sump with TONS of room in it. Could I build a 2' cube out of eggcrate and put it in the sump (keeping the top of the cube flush with the water surface or just above it)? In this cube I'll put macro algae and keep a light over it on a reverse cycle. Will this work? I have tangs to eat the macro I plan to cultivate.

Just looking for a little input.

Thanks!

Mache62
07/14/2008, 12:14 PM
I have thought of the same thing! I think there is someone who already does this...

DNickell
07/14/2008, 12:28 PM
I didn't build a box, but I put egg crate on the sand bed in my refugium, which sits elevated in my sump. The egg crate does a good job of giving the algae something to cling to so that it's not just floating around in there.

I have very slow flow--just a trickle--going into the refugium. It overflows/drips into the sump, where my heater, skimmer, phosphate reactor and return pump are located.

With this simple set up I get some algae grow along the edge of the refugium where the water drips over, but 99% stays attached to the egg crate.

My understanding is that running a light on the algae in the refugium 24/7 helps keep it from spreading back into the display tank.

I'm sure there are better ways, but this has seemed to work pretty well.

Monkeyfish
07/14/2008, 02:14 PM
You shouldn't run a 'fuge light 24/7. After a certain point the algae is incapable of using the light for photosynthesis - there's only so much work ya can do in a day! ;)

nativecracker32
07/14/2008, 02:42 PM
It will work but you'll have what ever maco in the display. if you dont mind that then go for it!

ScottC
07/14/2008, 03:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12946271#post12946271 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nativecracker32
It will work but you'll have what ever maco in the display. if you dont mind that then go for it!

Can you explain that a little more for me, please?

DNickell
07/14/2008, 04:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12946044#post12946044 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Monkeyfish
You shouldn't run a 'fuge light 24/7. After a certain point the algae is incapable of using the light for photosynthesis - there's only so much work ya can do in a day! ;)

You may well be correct. Everything I read when setting up my refugium said to run a light 24/7 to keep it from "going sexual" and spreading via the return pump to the display. I've had my fuge light on for six or seven years now and I harvest algae out of there regularly.

It made sense to me that everything you do to prevent algae growth in the display you ought to do backwards where you want algae to grow. (That's why my flourescent shop light over the refugium has the original bulb. If its not in the red spectrum by now it never will be!)

I don't know of anything I am doing with my tank that I believe to be the "best" way to do it. I'm always looking for better ways. But, what I have been doing has gotten me this far, so its not a totally wrong way.

Warmart
07/14/2008, 09:54 PM
Use just Chaeto and you won't have to worry about it going sexual.

This is a worry with the various types of Calerpa, but not Chaeto, hence why most just use it.

And I vote for reverse cycle - a tried and true method.

SantaMonica
07/27/2008, 03:42 PM
Another option is a Turf Algae Filter, which will not start growing in your display, nor will any pieces of it break off an flow into your display. More info here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=12931276#post12931276

kgross
07/27/2008, 07:52 PM
This is exactly how I have set up an algae filter on a couple of tanks that were already setup. Used egg crate zip tied together to hold the chaeto and put a light over it. The larger the area you can give to the chaeto and the more light you can put on it the faster it will grow and the less algae in the DT you will have.

kim