PDA

View Full Version : Tank next to windows?

rhwimmers
07/15/2008, 07:26 AM
I am wanting to start up a tank again now that I have moved and got settled in. A great place would be in our living room but it would be in the corner where there are 2 windows - im wondering if I would have mass algea problems due to the sunlight?

discocarp
07/15/2008, 07:29 AM
Sunlight is great for the tank. The only danger is overheating. As long as you are able to control the temperature in the tank it will be fine.

rhwimmers
07/15/2008, 07:33 AM
Really? I always heard natural sunlight would cause a lot of algea... I suppose I should light it with MH, PC, or VHO and then the sunlight can just add extra?

SWEEET - 1000 post club

discocarp
07/15/2008, 07:36 AM
Congrats on 1k. :) Let me show you the secret handshake. :)

Ya, no problem. That advice is typically given for some FO or freshwater systems. In those systems, nitrates and phosphates run MUCH higher than in a properly run reef. Algae is inhibited by low lighting more so than nutrient control. In a reef you need to have the nutrients under control. You'd get the algae with reef quality lighting if you didn't.

roblack
07/15/2008, 08:25 AM
If you time it so that natural light is supplementing your artificial light and the total cycle is not too long, then no problem. My tank receives direct sunlight most mornings for about 1.5 hours. Looks beautiful and the acros seem to really like it.

rhwimmers
07/15/2008, 08:31 AM
Sounds nice - you have any pics of the tank near the window for comparisons sake?

limitdown
07/15/2008, 09:25 AM
If you're running a chiller, then natural sunlight should not be a problem. Check out the link to a post by a fellow reefer in Portugal that has an outdoor reef lit 100% by natural sunlight. It's got a glass top so evaporation/rain are non-issues.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1095596

mm949
07/15/2008, 10:00 AM
ditto....my 18footer is 3ft from 14' of windows and gets sunlight most of the day..the tank is 2" acrylic so heat doesnt transfer but i do have issues with some coral not liking that much light but light doenst cause algae...nutrients do..

maroun.c
07/15/2008, 10:03 AM
My tank is just next to the window so does not get any direct lighting from it. however when I open the shades int he morning the tankis very well lit by normal daylight only. the tank does not get any direct sunlight though. I initially got some brown alga on teh sand or couple of weeks which stopped on its own but that could be the minicycle the tnak passed through. check up my build thread there are some posts on the early page showing exactly whhere the tank is and the two windows in the room.
I do light up my actinics from 11-3 pm and my halides start runing at around 3 mostly cause I wonÃ*t my tank to be lit till 10-11 pm when I will be at home and using the natural lighting in the morning. still itÃ*s not as nice as the colours you get from the tank lighting itself.

Sk8r
07/15/2008, 10:08 AM
More than likely you will have a lot of cyano problems. The stuff thrives purely on sunlight, co2 and water, and it's hard to prevent it. I don't know if any of the window-films take away the part of the spectrum cyano loves, but it might help.

I did have a marine tank against the only wooden wall in a big room with floor to ceiling windows, and didn't have outstanding problems, however: those windows were slanted, and they had a one-way coating. I had some, but not a lot. Depends on your windows, maybe, and your standard of 'clean tank.'

The Saltman
07/15/2008, 10:11 AM
I had this problem and solved it by tinting the sides of the tank glass. Algae was a big problem before I did this.