PDA

View Full Version : ro unit vs tap water purifier

biecacka
07/15/2008, 02:33 PM
I recently bought a ro unit from ebay and was in my local LFS talking to a guy I've known for yrs and have always took his advice as if he knew what he was talking about. He made a statement that blew my mind away when he said I wasted money on the RO unit when I could have bought the tap water purifier for less and got the same result. I did not know what to think so I thought this would be a good place to find out some answers. Not really for me as I bought a RO already but maybe the next person in line. Do the tap water purifier' s work? Are they effective? I think it is basically a DI right?

:confused:

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/15/2008, 02:54 PM
It will quickly get depleted (it is basically a DI resin) and in the long run costs a lot more than RO/DI for all but a tiny system with little water needs.

DI resin is among the biggest costs in most RO/DI systems, and the RO membrane makes it last more than ten times longer than without the RO (which is basically what the TWP is).

aquaman67
07/15/2008, 02:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12953452#post12953452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by biecacka
I think it is basically a DI right?

Correct!

The purpose of a RO is to strain out as much as possible mechanically before the water gets to the DI.

That tap water filter will only last about 100 gallons or so depending on the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of your tap water.

The RO membrane acts like a screen and takes out much of what would other wise end up in the DI. It would burn up the DI resin much faster without the RO.

Does your LFS guy sell those tap water filters and not sell ROs?

That usually has a lot to do with what a person recommends you send your money on...what they sell.

biecacka
07/15/2008, 03:13 PM
My LFS sells both. I think maybe he meant to say they do/can work. For me they might not I have a 220 so it would not be cost effective. I really just wanted to clear this up incase someone with a smaller tank was considering the water purifier. It will work just be preparedto buy filters. If anyone out here has used one please post tour input on this! Thanks

areze
07/15/2008, 03:19 PM
yeah, you could use the water out of your fridge dipensor also.

in both cases, short life, and the replacement filters are ussually WAY expensive, being that they are on a more consumer level.

it would be a tiny band of people that could justify a tap purifier over just buying DI water in the grocery store or a full fledge RO/DI filter.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/15/2008, 03:42 PM
If anyone out here has used one please post tour input on this!

Not sure what you want to hear beyond what we said. They do work, but deplete fast so are expensive long term. Some folks do use them OK. :)

biecacka
07/16/2008, 09:09 AM
thanks everyone for your imput. i hope this can help someone else out if they have questions. it would not work for me as my tank is too large but maybe a nano or something like that it would be a less expensive route.

discocarp
07/16/2008, 10:12 AM
Get the RO, even for a nano. I started out using a tap water purifier years and years ago. It is NOT cheaper. It just seems cheaper. It lasted me only about 50 gallons per refill.

abulgin
07/16/2008, 11:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12959022#post12959022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by discocarp
Get the RO, even for a nano. I started out using a tap water purifier years and years ago. It is NOT cheaper. It just seems cheaper. It lasted me only about 50 gallons per refill.

At $20 a pop. As stated--you'll save money with an RO/DI unit in the long run.

biecacka
07/16/2008, 01:49 PM
the guy at my LFS must have been trying to sell me one for whatever reason or praticing his pitch to try on some one else i got a good deal on a 100gpd ro unit from ebay.

stagefright13
07/16/2008, 04:54 PM
I have a tap water filter. It actually can be recharged with Muriatic acid and Lye. But is a pain in the butt. But when I first started out that is what I used to use. And just recharge it. But is not very cost effective at all buying new DI cans. I bought an R/O years ago.

I still use it. But I dumped the resin and filled the can to the top with carbon and just use it for top off water on my fresh water tank.