PDA

View Full Version : brown jelly/slime killing mushrooms

kinerson
07/15/2008, 03:46 PM
I have a rock covered in purple discoma mushrooms and I cut the heads off of many. I placed the heads on some rubble in a container and covered it with bridal veil. A few days later some started to be over taken by a brown jelly like slime that adventually killed all the mushrooms. I was wondering if in the future I should "dip" the freshly cut heads in tech d or seachem reef dip for a few minutes to help prevent this. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

Reefer07
07/15/2008, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure a dip would help but that is being excreted by the mushrooms. Some people have recommended that you increase the flow on mushrooms that are doing this but you obviously can't increase flow when you are trying to mount them and they are all enclosed in a containter. Maybe don't put so many mushrooms in the same container? Do several containers?

phathead
07/15/2008, 11:53 PM
Yes definetly I use Tech D to dip after cutting all of my Rics its seem to work great for me. I split all my rics when there is more than one mouth or a large enough to cut in half. The only time the brown stuff occurs for me is when I get greedy and try to cut one that is to small or when cutting I dont do one clean slice through. (jagged,more than 1 cut). I pretty much look at it like the brown means it is dying.

kinerson
07/17/2008, 07:18 AM
Reefer07
Your suggestion of "Maybe don't put so many mushrooms in the same container? Do several containers?" is very interesting. Do you think the chances of infections would be reduced?

phathead
Could you describe your dip method to me? How long? How concentrated? Fresh or system water?
Thanks,
Greg

phathead
07/17/2008, 09:43 AM
I use my sytem water and follow the directions for the kent marine Tech D Dip exactly leave them in the dip for 5 minutes and then back into the tank.

kinerson
07/18/2008, 06:06 PM
thanks

BigScott
07/18/2008, 10:34 PM
i just rinse mine in a bowl of tank water..

phathead
07/18/2008, 11:38 PM
I use to only use tank water but now I slice around 75 at a time so it tends to get a bit messy so I figure the dip has got to help. Since I started using it I have had only 2-3 losses from splitting them out of hundreds. Great odds I think.

kinerson
07/19/2008, 07:27 PM
agreed. I wonder if I should replace my seachem reefdip with tech d

Reefer07
07/19/2008, 10:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12965270#post12965270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kinerson
Reefer07
Your suggestion of "Maybe don't put so many mushrooms in the same container? Do several containers?" is very interesting. Do you think the chances of infections would be reduced?

phathead
Could you describe your dip method to me? How long? How concentrated? Fresh or system water?
Thanks,
Greg

It was more of an educated guess. I have yet to frag mushrooms.
We all know that mushrooms are same species therefore most of the time they won't sting each other. However, if you have a large amount of them in the same container piled on top of each other and such that may lead to some trouble (sliming up and such).
Like I said, just an educational guess.
I would go with a dip like everyone else mentioned even though I said no at first. Like I said, I am not a fragging expert and the people that made different suggestions definitely have more experience than me.

slimy fish
07/25/2008, 02:16 AM
The brown jelly like slim is caused by an opportunistic protozoan. It is very important to clean all necrotic tissue away with a jet off water in a container outside of the tank and then place polyp in a container with new sterilized sand, this usually helps if caught early enough. If not caught earlier enough the protozoan will kill all stressed polyps in as little as 48 hours.

JMCAquarium
08/02/2008, 01:18 AM
Only do a few shrooms at a time when you cut them just like anything in this world it secrets toxin, organic wastes, body fluids etc etc. If you cut to many and place them all into a single container they will basically poison themselves you may luck out and get them all to live but for the must part they will die.
You also want to keep some flow on the fresh cut ones for a day or two just to make sure they don't sit in their own slime.
Once one starts to slime up like that get it the hell out of there and any other shroom that may have been touching ti weather it looks healthy or not toss it otherwise it will spread like wild fire and wipe out the entire colony.

JMCAquarium
08/02/2008, 01:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12983249#post12983249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer07
It was more of an educated guess. I have yet to frag mushrooms.
We all know that mushrooms are same species therefore most of the time they won't sting each other. However, if you have a large amount of them in the same container piled on top of each other and such that may lead to some trouble (sliming up and such).
Like I said, just an educational guess.
I would go with a dip like everyone else mentioned even though I said no at first. Like I said, I am not a fragging expert and the people that made different suggestions definitely have more experience than me.

Your guess is incorrect I've had more then a few shroom wars in my tanks over the years. Most of the time the they tolerate eachother but if they don't like it eachother or are introduced to eachother to fast. They will go to war and it ain't pretty.

kinerson
08/04/2008, 09:38 AM
Good info guys, thanks.

phathead
08/06/2008, 01:08 PM
I found that rhodactis do not get along with Ricordea at least none of mine did.

phathead
08/06/2008, 01:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13018388#post13018388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slimy fish
The brown jelly like slim is caused by an opportunistic protozoan. It is very important to clean all necrotic tissue away with a jet off water in a container outside of the tank and then place polyp in a container with new sterilized sand, this usually helps if caught early enough. If not caught earlier enough the protozoan will kill all stressed polyps in as little as 48 hours.
I completly agree but I did find one new way to make it work. I have alot of peppermint shrimp that just happen to hide in my live rock from my previous tank that are now in my ric tank (great for aptasia). I had one ricordea I recieved that somehow was dying when I recieved it. I put the ric in my tank anyway. The ric was oozing it's guts and covered in the brown slime. As soon as I set it down one shrimp went over to it and started to eat all the stuff off the ric. Within days it was back to good and starting to open up. Out of the 6-7 I have there is one that I am now taking a liking to he is alittle darker in the rear than the rest of them. I recelntly arranged my tank with one side to be kind of a fragging area for them to attach without blowing away. Now every morning before the lights turn on you can bet he will be there tending to his garden. Never thought I would actually like one of these guys. My healing period on my rics as basically dwindled down to 24hrs. I cut at noon by noon the next day I bet you wouldnt even know it was half a ricordea simply amazing. I should move him to my frag tank. If you wanna see pics of the garden look under forum ARE YOU RICORDEA DOMINATED?

JMCAquarium
08/06/2008, 05:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13101037#post13101037 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phathead
I found that rhodactis do not get along with Ricordea at least none of mine did.

That is just the example I was using a baby green Rhodac fell over and touched my multi colored pink eyed rics (the ones I was going to trade with you) and it went to war with the one it touched they both died and within 3 days all six of my adult rics were dead. I have yet to ever see ones with the color that mine had and I was sick to my stomach for two days after. live and learn though

phathead
08/07/2008, 12:01 AM
that sucks it always seems to happen to the one you like the most.

kinerson
08/08/2008, 11:24 AM
phathead- do u think that the increase heal time (24hrs) is due to the shrimp verse the tech d or a combo of both? did all the pep shrimp feed on the slime or just some? when u say the heal time is 24hr are u saying that the cut rics are complete circles again?

great info guys!