PDA

View Full Version : Bryopsis (sp?) starting to grow!

JoeMomma
07/16/2008, 09:31 AM
I have noticed a couple tiny strands of bryopsis growing from my live rock. I know about the elevated Mg solution but since its so small what can I do to eradicate it? Boil the rock maybe?

Tswifty
07/16/2008, 09:34 AM
you can try pulling the rock out and scrubbing it.

jimbo78
07/16/2008, 09:39 AM
Lettuce slugs work great on the stuff if you can find them.

Michael
07/16/2008, 09:43 AM
hope its not bryopsis, it can be a total nightmare to get rid of, i have a link somewhere on it, i will try to find it for you

Michael
07/16/2008, 09:47 AM
here it is joe, hope it helps

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=167632

tmz
07/16/2008, 09:54 AM
Bryopsis is common and can be difficult.
Manual export and nutrient control particularly phoshate are key to controlling it.Removing buildup detrius, cleaning filters ,gfo and other nutrient management activities will help.
I don't believe the high magnesuium approach is a proven solution ;more anecdotal at this point. In any case, I am not personally happy with the idea of raising magnesium levels to far exceeed nsw values.
As for the lettuce slugs(elysia crispa and ornata) they will pierce algal cels and suck out the chloroplasts. Not sure if this erradicates the bryopsis I've never had oneof these slugs survive more than a month or two in an aquarium.

Kiel'thalin
07/16/2008, 09:59 AM
It is your live rock dude, where did you get it from and how long ago did you put it in the tank?

Tswifty
07/16/2008, 10:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12958899#post12958899 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
Bryopsis is common and can be difficult.
Manual export and nutrient control particularly phoshate are key to controlling it.Removing buildup detrius, cleaning filters ,gfo and other nutrient management activities will help.
I don't believe the high magnesuium approach is a proven solution ;more anecdotal at this point. In any case, I am not personally happy with the idea of raising magnesium levels to far exceeed nsw values.
As for the lettuce slugs(elysia crispa and ornata) they will pierce algal cels and suck out the chloroplasts. Not sure if this erradicates the bryopsis I've never had oneof these slugs survive more than a month or two in an aquarium.
That's how I got rid of it... Starved it out. Also, I manually removed a bunch in the beginning. Then my little yellow tang took a liking to it, and helped keep it at bay until the GFO and macro algae could finish it off.

JoeMomma
07/16/2008, 10:26 AM
This is rock that I had in my old system which was over-run with bryopsis for a while. It then all of a sudden died away. The rock has been fine for about a year and now its started to come back.

I'll be setting up a remote deep sand bed this weekend and I just purchased a phosban reactor. Hopefully those will do the trick.

I should also trim my cheato ball to encourage its growth as its now about the size of a basketball.

Tswifty
07/16/2008, 10:29 AM
Yes I would trim it down. That will also help remove phosphate and nitrates that the cheato has absorbed.

JoeMomma
07/16/2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the responses!

If I pull the rock out and scrub it won't I be dispursing leftover bits of the bryopsis all over the tank only to take hold and establish elsewhere?

Maybe I can leave it be and not feed aglae sheets to the tangs in hopes of them taking a liking to it. I know someone got hungry one day and took out a nice big patch of hair algae.

Kiel'thalin
07/16/2008, 10:52 AM
Just be prepared that there is not a quick solution to your problem. If it was me, I would take out the rock and cook it for the time being, or consider lowing your bioload temporally (month+). How old is this tank, and what is your currently stocking levels?

sassafrass
07/16/2008, 10:52 AM
Best of luck
Lee

Tswifty
07/16/2008, 10:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12959149#post12959149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JoeMomma
Thanks for all the responses!

If I pull the rock out and scrub it won't I be dispursing leftover bits of the bryopsis all over the tank only to take hold and establish elsewhere?

Maybe I can leave it be and not feed aglae sheets to the tangs in hopes of them taking a liking to it. I know someone got hungry one day and took out a nice big patch of hair algae.
Scrub it in a bucket of water change water, and rinse it real well to get all the loose bits off before adding it back.